General problem with automatic tailgate.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by iem1, Thursday 15th Feb, 2018.

1. iem1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bulgaria Ivan Sofia
    Hello,

I changed the struts on the luggage door with new ones, because the old ones are squeak and have rust.

Soon the problems started. When i pressed the tailgate open button, the tailgate door opens up to one level then it beep and automatically and unreasonably closes.

Would you like to help me where the problem is. May be i must to reset the ECU
    or something else.

Thank You, and greetings.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Anyone know how to help @iem1 ?

3. noor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Check wiring and sensors

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

iem1 likes this.
  4. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi @iem1 .
    Are the replacement struts genuine Honda? if not do they have the same length of travel as the original.

Restting the Power Tailgate Control Unit
    If the battery terminal is disconnected or No. 15 (10 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box is removed while the power tailgate is operating, the power tailgate will not be able to open or close automatically until it is reset. To reset the system, fully close the tailgate manually. Once the battery terminals are reconnected or No. 15 (10 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box is replaced, the power tailgate system will automatically reset. Make sure the power tailgate operates properly.

Last edited: Monday 26th Feb, 2018
    iem1 and Nels like this.
  5. iem1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bulgaria Ivan Sofia
    Thank you very much i will try to reset the ECU. I replace old struts with new "Monroe
    524 мм long and 585 Newton", and the problems with automatic tailgate begins. Maybe because is cold in Bulgaria -7 C

6. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @iem1
    As per my last post check if the travel is also the same! if you still have the old ones refit and see if problem is fixed.

iem1 likes this.
  7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @iem1 did you get this sorted mate....

iem1 likes this.
  8. iem1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bulgaria Ivan Sofia
    Once time the problem occurs. Next time when I try there is no problem. I guess because the weather is cold. Surely when the weather gets warmer there will be no problem with the automatic tailgate.

9. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    hello, i also noticed that my original struts of automatic tailgate are very noisy and closes in non linear action. When opens, it creeks very loudly, and when closes - its very 'wavy' ~~ closing operation. i didint find any video, if you intrested i could film it.

second thing that i did, also bought the same aftermarket struts, monroe, which is for automatic tailgate, not manual tailgate of accord tourer. when i installed them and tried to automatically open it, it stuck in the middle way (i think computer detects an obstacle) and automatically closses. as iem1 says, sometimes it worked normal. but in my case, my tailgate stops in middle way and closes almost 95% tries.

i returned those OEM struts, because they don't have any spares of struts and backed to original ones. but i don't like them, because of its creeks and closing actions. after 1year passed, i will try to buy again, newers struts, also aftermarket, i think that they will be okay.

iem1 likes this.
  10. acerif Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a similar problem , got new non genuine struts, and they triggered the obstruction sensor on the boot.

I sent off my original struts and got them regassed for £30, and they're good as new, and play nicely with the auto boot function.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
    Tim

11. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Here guys, this is the video showing what happening when i oppening and closing my boot with key fob:

the sound/creaks/squeaks are more severe if my car is leaned on side.
    also at the end of the video you can see that closing procedure is waving instead of consistent closing