I'm finally back in a Honda, kinda... Let me explain! Some of you will remember my old B18'd EJ6 Coupe... I sold this at the end of 2013 and as far as I know, the new owner completely and utterly ruined it! But, that's a story for another day. I bought a 350z in the hope that I'd enjoy something a little more sensible and refined… It was a lovely car, if effortless speed and 17MPG float your boat; it just did nothing for me. In reality, I missed the sheer rawness (if that's a word) of the coupe. I then bought an MX5 as a run around while I looked for a DC2 to get myself back in the Honda Game. Ended up spending everything I'd saved for a DC2 on modifying the MX5, oops! My good friend Dan (morgandan) had come to the point where there was too much money wrapped up in the form of his pristine RX7 FD3S, so decided to sell it. We decided between the two of us that we'd build something together that we could both have a bit of fun in at the weekends etc. After Dan spent the weekend at Mimms, he had the same Honda itch that I did. Which brings me to a month or so, ago… Someone we know locally was selling a Milano Pink EC9 (D14A1 Auto, for those who don’t know) that we picked up for an absolute steal. I’d been wanting to complete a K-Swap for a number of years, so immediately knew what I wanted to do. Took me all of 5 minutes to convince Dan, so here we are… A rusty old EC9 waiting for a heart transplant. Dan picked the car up and drove it straight down to Cornwall (500 mile round-trip), it didn’t skip a beat… After a good wash; https://flic.kr/p/syatYH First job was to figure out what needed doing... We knew the outer rear arches were rotten, but it appeared the inner arch had started to crumble too. Luckily the previous owner had thrown in a pair of rear quarter panels as he had intended to do these and then sell the car on. We noticed a slight puddle in the boot, so ripped out the interior to prevent it being ruined by whatever was leaking. Turns out the sun-roof mechanism is rusted through where the drainage holes run from. We hadn’t intended on removing the sun-roof, but we’ll need to now, so that’s another for the “to do” list. We thought the rear bumper was slightly warped, although on closer inspection with the interior out we realised the car had been reversed into something, causing the mounting point in the chassis to bend. 5 minutes with a hammer and block of wood, Dan had the bumper sitting as it should. Next up was a spur of the moment purchase on eBay, a 3rd Generation Golf GTi splitter. I’d seen a couple of people running these in the US, so figured it was a cheap, temporary, mod to make the car look slightly better for the time being. I had a pair of 262mm calipers left over from the EJ6, when I upgraded to 282’s. So I set about refurbishing these for the EC9. Rubbed them down and gave them a fresh coat of silver. Luckily, I also kept the discs and pads from the EJ6, meaning now all we needed was a pair of EF9/EE9 hubs to complete the front setup, as (for those who don’t know) the EG6/EK4 front hubs do physically fit but ruin the geometry on the EF chassis. It was around this time that we acquired the main ingredient to our build… The K20! A mutual-friend was selling his pre-facelift EP3 after buying an S2000. Initially, he wanted more than we were willing to pay (considering we only needed the engine) but soon came around with a bit of persuasion. Long story, short, we ended up getting a bargain… The donor; We had a bit of a mad weekend, driving to Bristol on Saturday to pick up some CR-X rear trailing arms and pedal box, then to Norwich on the Sunday to pick up our new wheels, a set of 15x7 ET41 Enkei RPF1’s wrapped in T1R’s. We hadn’t intended on buying wheels so soon, but they came up at a good price so we couldn’t turn them down. Got lows? Obligatory “driving like a granny” shot… We’re now in the process of rebuilding the rear trailing arms and calipers, with all new seals, bushings etc. It turns out that the hand-brake mechanism seal on one of the rear calipers was so badly perished that it has started to allow water in. After ripping it all apart it appears it has rusted everything inside, meaning we now need to source another. Not a problem, but slightly frustrating… Glad we decided to rebuild them, else we’d have never known! We’re nearly up to date! Dan managed to source some front hubs after being messed about by various people on Facebook selling pages. We haven’t managed to strip these down yet, but they will be getting the same treatment as the rear trailing arms. Now, the new shiny bits… We placed an order with Karcepts in the US for a bulk of the K-Swap parts. There is still a lot to buy, but it got us started! Most recently, we started clearing a space to store the car down at our friends’ farm where the car will live for the foreseeable future. Bit of motorbike maintenance while we were at it… Oh…The rear arches are booked in for the end of this month. Once we get the car back from the bodyshop, we can start stripping it down, ready for the new bits.