Engine & Gearbox Re-Mapping Auto

Discussion in 'Honda N-Series' started by pointer772001, Friday 25th May, 2018.

1. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lee Norwich
    Hey All,

I have had my 2014 Accord for a couple of months now and am really liking it but I feel it needs just that bit more, it's not quite "effortless" enough for me.

What are everyone's thoughts on remapping? its a 2.2 I-DTEC Auto on 25,000 miles, I know it will put extra stress on various parts but is it worth the ££ and the potential extra wear?

2. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    That's a shame.... I mean you're not 100% happy with performance.
    But... can it simply not be brought down to the fact this engine is coupled to the auto? I drove both versions (MT and auto) and the difference is huge. The MT feels really 'alive and kicking', while the auto is more kind of 'sit back and relax'. Same difference for the 2.0 i-VTEC petrol between the two transmissions. I did like the 2.2 I-DTEC in auto version for longue houles. Drove it countless times to the UK via the Tunnel. It's so relaxing on the highway and in traffic jams. The MT is more 'fun to drive' and asks the pilot to bring it again and again to that torque peak point.
    But apart from that: no, don't map it. I personally do know some people who remapped diesels (2 Alfa's, a VW, a BMW) and all had troubles, turbo's in the first place, clutch second to go. And rethink it: if it's the AT that does not really match your expectations, than it's definitely not worth the money.

3. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yea I guess you're right, the few cars I had previous to this one were quite a bit different and I'm comparing which I shouldn't really and it would be a shame to lessen the life and reliability of such a low mileage car

i-DSI likes this.
  4. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    I have my 2.2 I-CDTI running and economy map which is not a full on map but more power and torque over standard. Makes a good difference low down and improved MPG. Had this done foe 3 years now with no issues.

5. 3rd3urop3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Slovenia 3rd3urop3 Kranj
    I love my I-DTEC auto with remap. The 5AT is great fun to drive in all modes, truly changing character of the engine and power output. 3rd and 4th gear are spot-on with full lock upshifts and some spirited downshifting when slowing down, no turbo lag, instant response on kickdown. However, the 5th is still annoying, it's slow, lazy and most of time it feels like you're driving a CVT gearbox, a remap certainly won't fix this. But the torque converter on this tranny is actually great on a remap as it can produce some awesome bursts of accelerations in certain conditions and it can take all the abuse you throw at it... it makes driving in 2-4kprm diesel-power range fun and exciting, instead of causing pain and suffering. Killer torque conversion going on when launching from standstill in 2nd with turbo spooled-up at 2krpm for instance. For sure, you'll kill your turbo, crack your EGR pipe and throw some DTC's sooner if you go with 180+ remap but these components will fail sooner or later anyway. At least you'll have fun with your I-DTEC meanwhile and some money left from the clutch to fix it, opposed to 6MT.

My Accord had twice your milage when I bought it, did another 60k with a remap since, 1x EGR pipe fixed, turbo soon, but no regrets so far. :Smile:

6. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm that's interesting, if I did decide to re map it I would only go up to 180 anyway as I think it just needs that bit more