Real mpg at constant speed 60mph

Discussion in '4th Generation (2015)' started by Neo, Friday 19th Jan, 2018.

1. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neo Birmingham
    Hi.. I am after some advice here as I am a potential new owner of a Jazz 1.3 2017 model.
    What are the real world MPG on A roads where I drive at a constant speed of 60mph.?

I am currently own a Toyota Yaris diesel and gets 65mpg easily.
    I just wanted to see how much fuel I will be using on the Jazz as I am getting rid of my Yaris soon.

Also what is the reliability like? Will it last 100k miles or more on Honda engine? My current Yaris is at 150k miles and still reliable but wanted a change....
    I do about 17k miles a year.

2. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

An impossible question to answer but I can give you my experience based on my 'style' of driving.
    Mainly country with 'usual' speed of 52mph outwith 30/40 restrictions and when "going places" at 62/72mph where limits apply. These speeds are as indicated on cruise control.
    This gives me 49.3mpg (13038miles) on this model Vs 45.3 (18370) on the previous.
    I record all fills and mileages.

3. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would like to report back for people that are interested ok no the comparison between a Yaris 1.4 diesel and the Honda Jazz 1.3 EX manual.
    Same road conditions on A roads 60mph. Yaris gives 65mpg, Jazz gives 56mpg.

4. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
    Honda engine will easily last 100K miles. An acquaintance, on another forum, a driving instructor, did 220K before a failure of the CVT gearbox led him to buy another Jazz. My 1.2i-DSi has done 103K, and is as sweet as a nut. Over the two years I have owned the car I have averaged 53.8 MPG calculated.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    in our 2017 Jazz I have achieved 68MPG hovering around 60-65MPH however you should not do constant throttle that is as good as using cruise control. Try to use the throttle as if there is a egg behind it and feather it .Then set your real time MPG gauge on the dash (i-MID) and see what the effect is on MPG when you are heavy on the throttle.

andy83 likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've not got up to those figures, but it is easy to get 58-60mpg in our old Jazz.

She's due a service again soon, so I'll see how she fairs after that.

7. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the replies....

As my car is due for oil change soon. Has anyone have used 5w30 synthetic in a Jazz? I got some unused oil left over from my previous car.
    Any advice will be appreciated...

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's usually the 2nd choice option, providing it meets the other specs. It will also give you a lower MPG.
    0W-20 is the recommended one.

9. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
    I use Comma XTech Fully Synthetic 5W30. No problems and great MPG.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

0W-20 will be better.

Attached Files:

andy83 likes this.
  11. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
    My Jazz has the L12A engine and Honda recommend 5W-30 for that engine. I have used 0W-20 on previous cars until an oil company representative advised me to use a slightly heavier oil once an engine has done more than 100K miles. Since then I have followed that advice.

12. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks again for all the replies...

My car now covered 10k miles and I think I will use the 5w30 as I don't wants it goes to waste.
    I think the car is broken in....
    It had 2 oil changed already.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It will run fine on 5W-30. It is up to you what you use.

It will run fine on 5W-30. It is up to you what you use.

However, I will continue to trust the engineers at Honda over any 'representative'

andy83 likes this.
  14. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
    And it is Honda's engineers that recommend my engine use 5W-30.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What is your evidence for this claim?

In 2006 5W-30 will have been, but things have moved on and it is now the 2nd choice.

I am quite happy for you to state what you use in your engine. However, on this site, we give our members the most up to date information we have.
    0W-20 is the recommended oil. 5W-30 next.

My proof that your GD5 should use 0W-20

16. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Nels,
    Thanks for the official data. I will get the recommended 0w20.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I cannot foresee an issue with you using up the 5W-30 that you have (provided it is for petrol engines)
    0W-20 should give you better MPG.

18. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Nels,
    I still got 3 off 4 lires of Castrol Edge 5w30 and I think it is ACEA C2 which was intended for my former diesel car. But I think it is also suitable for petrol engine. Am I right in this thinking?
    I just think it is a wasteful not using it. I am ok losing a few MPG as the weather is warm now and might make it up...
    What would you do if you are in my position?
    Thanks for the input and thoughts.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I think you should be able to sell it quite easily.

For your Jazz, I would recommend getting some 0W-20. Holdcroft Honda offer competitive prices and free next day delivery.
    Your handbook may list the 5W-30 as an alternative. If so, then that will be fine too.

My CU1 and GG6 have 0W-20.

Please upload an avatar and add you Jazz to the Club Garage. (Details here) It helps us when helping you.

andy83 likes this.
  20. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have carefully checked the spec of my 5w30 oil and it is not suitable for petrol.
    Could you confirm if this is the correct oil type from Honda please:
    Honda 0W-20 Type 2.0 Synthetic Engine Oil, 4 Litres.

Thanks.