Guides Rear Diff and Clutch Assembly Fluid Changed

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Rydo, Sunday 28th May, 2017.

1. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    You mean the GT86, genuine city car like the Aygo, cool pickup like the Hilux, proper saloon which looks pretty damn good like the Avensis. Legendary off Roader like the Land Cruiser.

Or do you mean the countless cars that Lexus make, who we can more or less class as Toyota seeing as they ultimately have their say on what is marketed here.

There is no need to be defensive of Honda, they can't be defended. Yes the CTR will sell well, 5 doors have took the market. But there's no attempt to compete in many segments they once stood strong in.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yes.

The market where the Legend was sold in vast numbers (with a different grill) uses DPSF and specifically advises against other than that, including the fluid Honda UK recommend.

Honda UK have almost precisely nothing to lose prescribing the wrong fluid out of sheer laziness.

Acura on the other hand still offer the next generation of the model, not to mention lawsuit happen yanks to keep at bay.

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So you don't then, you have an opinion.

Different markets recommend different grades of oil down to how the product will be used in the area it is supplied to. Just because Uncle Sam uses a particular diff oil to burn up and down the freeways doesn't mean that Doc Martin should use the same fluid to visit his patients in the Cornish Villages.

3. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom steve Southampton
    Hey , I love Honda I've had 9 and I can't seem to drag myself away from them , it's just such a shame to see the decline of range , as they were just so awsome back in the day . Toyota is duller than a dull day in dullland , so maybe it's just a jap thing at the mo lol

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Perhaps not that exciting but Toyotas current range does seem very good value for money. My father in law has just had a new top end CH-R after Hondas offerings couldn't compete.

5. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I forgot about that CHR looks pretty cool ,

6. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Splitting hairs much Pottermus?

It's hardly the difference the North Pole and Australia. The oils would only be region specific in that case.

Anyway, I'll continue to wrongly ignore the advice of Lord Honda UK then...

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's your car, do as you see fit.

I just sometimes feel that forums don't always offer the best advice.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Must admit I get confused over this ATF Z1 replacement narrative

This below plus the video earlier
    http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B101000.PDF
    Leads to confusion

Also for ATF-DW1
    If you google it's part No. 08268-999-04HE which is ATF-DW1
    The same part No. is also ATF Z1 in Russia
    https://www.21vek.by/transmission_oils/atfz10826899904he_honda.html
    Can you still get ATF-Z1 in Russia or is this site out of date

Other forums have postings suggesting
    ATF - DW1 should not be used
    DPSF ll is the same as DPSF others say it is not
    Question is who do you believe ?
    I cannot find a definitive - ATF -DW1 should not be used -
    Although it is mentioned in the video posted previously and he quotes his source ? 6mins in to 8mins
    So if Honda UK says use ATF - DW1 where does that leave us given the above ?
    Confused/suspect perhaps ?

9. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    I'll trust the video that specifically states not to use what Honda recommend in the U.K. And promotes a product (DPSF) which comes saying on the back for use in all wheel drive vehicles directly replaces ATF Z1 or words to that affect.

No point trying to locate the original Z1 as it was superseded for a reason, turns out it's not the best for these diffs.

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The amusing thing about this whole thread is that if you speak to Honda UK technical they don't recommend any variety of ATF for a Legend rear diff. They recommend HGO-3 Hypoid oil, which is the same oil as what's put in the S2000 diffs.

11. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

HUK ? Might as well ask next doors pet cat about legend !! Seriously .

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The key word I added then was "Technical". The chaps in white coats covered in oil and not the guys and girls wearing ties sat at a desk in Bracknell.

legend-ary and andy83 like this.
  13. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fair enough . The hypoid fluid makes sense , DW1 is certainly WRONG for rear legend diff.

14. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Reply from Honda U.K. today
    Note in the reply Accord - I asked about Legend
    I have re-submitted request for info re. rear differential on Legend KB 1
    Interesting that Castrol Oils is a partner

Dear Mr. :wait::wait:*
    Thank you for contacting Honda UK
    In regards to your query we can say that, as our dealers have access to the parts system, they are best placed to advise on which is the currently available rear differential chamber fluid for your Accord.
    Your nearest dealer can be found here: Find a Car Dealer | Honda Dealerships | Honda UK
    Alternatively, you can use the website of our partners Castrol Oils, where you can find an oil selector that can advise on all recommended fluids for your car.
    You will need to enter the car's reg. plate number, or specify the exact model, and the tool in question will bring up all relevant options (primarily the search is for engine oil, so once results from it come up, look at the right side of the page, where all other fluids are listed).
    Castrol oil selector: http://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/search
    Thank you for contacting Honda. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
    :wait::wait::wait:*
    Honda Customer Service

Call 0845 200 8000
    www.honda.co.uk

I

15. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Like I said , not a *** ing clue .
    Dealers albeit a few no different .
    Go on live chat with an Acura dealer in states they are exceptional and immediately quote correct oil for dif .
    Have a look on Castrol web site as we don't have the foggiest !!! Unbelievable, next there be telling us to put olive oil in diff

Rydo likes this.
  16. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    LOL! Brilliant haha.

17. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

IMG_5936.PNG Here's the result from the Honda partners and experts at castrol - so for rear diff in probably the worlds most complex and amazing AWD system the fluid to use is - ATF fluid for a wide range of Asian cars ! Sounds great ,
    If you want to destroy your clutch packs in the diff . Give up on this now promise I won't make another comment

Rydo likes this.
  18. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The following text is directly from the October 2010 Acura Service News Bulletin:

New All-Wheel Drive Fluid
    (DPSF) for SH-AWD
    Acura parts stock has a new SH-AWD rear differential fluid available. It’’s Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF), and it replaces ATF-Z1. It’’s been specifically formulated to withstand the extreme conditions in the AWD differential, offering better protection and greater longevity.
    DPSF is the factory fill for all ’’11 Acura models with SH-AWD, as well as some ’’10 models, and should be used in ’’10 and earlier models that call for ATF-Z1 or DPSF. However, ’’01-06 MDXs will still use VTM-4 differential fluid.
    Models that are factory-filled with DPSF have DPSF stamped on the rear differential assembly. The fluid is also clear instead of pink. If you need to top off the diff fluid and DPSF isn’’t available, go ahead and use ATF-Z1; it’’s OK in a pinch.
    DPSF is available in 1-quart bottles (P/N08200-9007A).

http://acura-club.net/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=7817

Given the reduction in viscosity of DW1 (and probably lack of hypoid additives, though that's an assumption) the conclusion is logical. Especially as I use the diff rather a lot.
    - - - Updated - - -
    It makes sense for the Leg End's front hypoid transfer case, where it's meant to go! The one without the epicyclics and clutch packs in it.

Honda Snake Oil...

Rydo likes this.
  19. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

AMEN , perhaps HUK and their cheapest supplier (" sorry I meant partner ") Castrol for their info , before they tell the unfortunate drivers of legend that are not on this forum to fill diff with Datsun cherry one fluid fits all ATF for all Asian cars.

Rydo likes this.
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    GT86 made in collaboration with another Japanese manufacture so not made by Toyota..
    Aygo made in collaboration with the French not made by Toyota
    Avensis does use German BMW engines in the diesels cars
    ooh please spare me the love for these idiots who can't make their own engine , have no engineers , everything is a outsourcing exercise and anyone get the contract is the price is right. Same class as the Lexus ..ooh please spare the BS.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Standard cut copy paste reply from a call centre staff responding to tickets to get stats and figure look rosy. No wonder you guys have no faith in HUK CS with this dire response.
    - - - Updated - - -
    So if this is Honda snake oil why post the links if you don't use it and what do you use in your car. If snake oil and not fit for purpose why moan? This thread is full of utter nonsense with no hard facts its all personal assumptions.

Pottermus likes this.