Engine & Gearbox Remapping / boosting power from 2008 1.8L Auto FR-V engine?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by s168, Friday 10th Nov, 2017.

1. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Has anyone used any garage or aftermarket products to boost the power output from the standard 2008 1.8L petrol engines? I think mine is either the R18A1 or R18A2 engine.

Stepping my foot on the pedal it seems sometimes rather underpowered. Also driving something like 85% A-road/motorway driving and 15% urban traffic I seem to achieve between 30.5 to 31.9mpg depending on traffic conditions. Is this what you guys are experiencing too?

Would like some advice on what are my best options to add a moderate boost to the power output (about 10-15% boost would be good) from the standard 138bhp that this engine is stated to produce.

Thanks in advance.

andy83 likes this.
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate when you drive your FR-V do you just use drive in the gearbox...

3. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Yes. Just the D mode. Never use 1, 2 or D3.

Actually today the average MPG went up to 32.2 before going down to 32.0 again. First time I've seen a 32 reading!

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate do you have + and - on gearbox also have you checked your gearbox oil...

5. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Not checked the gearbox oil. How do I check that? How often does it need to be changed?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Am not near the car now but from recollection I'm quite sure that I don't have the + and - on the gearbox. Isn't that for semi-automatic mode? This is an FR-V not a Civic. My missus has a Civic and that is the semi-automatic with paddle shift and + and - if I recall correctly.

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate your gearbox if i'm correct should have a dipstick on it, i'll see if I can find a diagram if you always just use D on the gearbox it will just change the gear as when it is at certain speed, braking ECT.. if you knock it down a few gears then press the throttle and feel the response difference..
    Thanks
    Andy
    - - - Updated - - -
    ATM0700.
    Mate number 7 is the gearbox dipstick...

s168 likes this.
  7. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thanks @andy83

Think I've located the thing but not had a chance to check the oil yet. Watched a few YouTube videos that mentioned it shouldn't be too dark and certainly should not smell burnt or smokey. Will check that later in the week when I get a chance.

Any idea how frequently the oil should be changed?

According to this site, it is at these intervals: 15k, 45k, 75k, 105k miles maintenance. I'm not sure if that is for manual or auto trans or both.
    https://www.southpointhonda.com/honda-recommended-maintenance-schedule.htm

andy83 likes this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

s168 likes this.
  9. Khan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Khan Walsall
    IMG_4988.PNG

s168 and andy83 like this.
  10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:Hey: good info that can help ...