General Remote central locking/alarm problem.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by 1066Boy, Monday 4th Dec, 2017.

1. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi all. I need help/advice please. :Smile:
    My Civic has decided to give me a headache. It won't lock/unlock with the buttons on the key.
    Has been fine until today even at long range so don't think its the battery in the key.
    Have tried my spare key and its exactly the same. (doubt both batteries would fail same day)
    I can unlock the car manually but the alarm goes off . Still starts and drives so the immobiliser is
    either switching off when opened manually or it don't work. Ideas ? Thanks Allan. :Niceone:

andy83 likes this.
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate I know it might not be but how old is car battery has voltage been tested...
    Thanks
    Andy

1066Boy likes this.
  3. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On our legend this happens every 3/4 years The battery in the fob was the cause - happened 2003 2007 2010 2013 2017
    Obviously this might not relate to Civic but maybe Test or change fob battery ?

4. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    @1066Boy took me a while to find it but here is a guide to reprogram the key fobs could be worth a shot,
    How to Program Your Honda Remote in 9 Easy Steps
    Honda-Dash.
    If you’ve recently bought a keyless remote entry fob for your Honda or the battery died in your existing remote, programming it is quick and easy. There’s no need to take the remote to a dealership for programming, simply follow these 9 simple steps.
    A Step by Step Guide for Programming Your Honda Remotes

Step 1: Gather all the remotes. You only need one remote to access program mode, but all remotes must be programmed during the same session. Your Honda will “forget” any remote previously programmed.

Step 2: Sit in the vehicle with all the doors closed and unlocked.

Step 3: Turn the key to the ON position, one click before starting the ignition. The lights on the accessories should come on and the dash will light up.

Step 4: Within 5 second of turning the key to the ON position, press the LOCK button on your remote control transmitter for one second.

Step 5: Turn the key to the OFF position.

Step 6: Repeat Steps 4 & 5 two more times for a total of three ON/OFF cycles. Each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.

Step 7: Turn the key back to the ON position (this will be your fourth turn of the key), press the “LOCK” button on your remote. The locks on your Honda will make a clunk noise exactly as they do when locking. You doors have not locked. This noise indicates your Honda is now in Remote Programming Mode. Do not turn the key off.

Step 8: If you would like to program more than one remote, press the LOCK button on each additional remote for 1 second. As with all other steps, you have 5 seconds to complete this step. Programming Mode will be activate for a total of 10 seconds. Only 3 remotes can be programmed to each Honda.

Your locks will make the clunking noise (as though the doors have locked) after each remote is programmed to indicate they have been successfully stored in the system’s memory.

Step 9: Turn the key to the OFF position and remove it from the ignition. Test all of your remotes to ensure they have been successfully programmed.

Remember that your remote will not work if the key is in the ignition. If you’ve lost your keyless entry remote, it’s a good idea to reprogram your Honda remote to protect your vehicle from theft.

Nels, 1066Boy, andy83 and 1 other person like this.
  5. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

The plan is check the main car battery and get both of the key fob ones replaced. Thanks guys.

rimmo and andy83 like this.
  6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No worries mate hope your alarm get sorted :Niceone:...

7. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Got the key fob batterys replaced today so just the main car battery to charge tomorrow. Two new batteries fitted for £7.20
    that's less than expected. :Smile:

rimmo and andy83 like this.
  8. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Here's a question. Not really practical to use my battery charger at home (on street parking) If I go out for a run without using lights/radio etc, How long or far do you think I should
    go to give the alternator a chance to give the battery a good charge?

9. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate that don't seem a bad price, I hope charging your battery goes ok mate, just seen what you posted up mate i'm unsure how long of a run you would need to get some decent charge in battery have you had voltage tested mate..
    Thanks
    Andy

10. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I have not tested it yet, just too busy this time of year. When I drove it last the lights were bright and starting was instance even though it had been
    standing for 2 weeks. Hopefully having a run will just top it up a bit. :Smile:

andy83 likes this.
  11. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Well that did not go well. Still had to open using the key and cannot take it for a run as the alarm now going off constantly. :Frown:
    Can the alarm be easily disconnected as a temp measure?

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm not sure about the alarm on your Civic, but the Accord has it's own battery. That would need disconnecting too.

1066Boy likes this.
  13. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes Civic alarm is the same with It's own battery

1066Boy and andy83 like this.
  14. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Is this battery easily replaceable? Also is it only the key fob that operates the alarm? ie: if I just use the key in the door to lock/unlock will the alarm stay off. :Unknown:

15. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

1066Boy and andy83 like this.
  16. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Mine is probly the 2nd Generation. After a good run this morning things seem ok, so I am guessing the main car battery maybe on the way out.
    Service and MOT due at Christmas, add new battery to the parts list. :shock: Thanks for all the help/advise guys. :Niceone:

andy83 and rimmo like this.
  17. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mate no probs just want make a point try HH for price of battery mate..
    Thanks
    Andy

1066Boy likes this.