ICE & HFT Replacing the head unit

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Badger fhtagen, Saturday 25th Aug, 2018.

1. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Badger Dudley
    I've replaced the radio today and thought I would make a little video to show how easy it actually is. It's easier than taking the whole dash out. Hope it helps a few people.

Nels likes this.
  2. Ragz2009 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ragz Bournemouth
    Please please please tell me where you got the adaptor from?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

£11 pound from eBay. The aerial adapter was £6.

4. Ragz2009 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really?? Do you have a link?

5. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. Ragz2009 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm after the faceplate

7. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah OK, I miss understood. The faceplate that came with my stereo sort of fits but I'll probably do a bit of fabricating if I can't get the one I have to work

8. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

9. RobsyUK Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Looks so simple. Wonder if it’s as easy with an auto

10. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like the climate control panel comes off the same way on the auto, so should be just as easy

11. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    This is perfect timing - have just ordered a Pioneer double din unit today with camera and trying to dig out what's needed to get it all to work. Just had 2 questions if you can help?

1. Did the adaptor you used from eBay let you keep steering controls? There is a guide here, but involves splicing etc.
    2. Did you use the Autoleads Bezel (DFP-15-10) or something else (like the one linked above)?

A massive thanks in advance!!!
    Raj

12. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've ordered a bog standard wiring connector till I get paid. There are wiring harness on eBay that advertise the steering wheel controls which I will purchase the end of the month. It's about £25. The facia adapter is the one on my link above, it had the measurements on the site which I checked before purchasing. I might try the splicing if it looks OK, or just be lazy and replace the cheap one I've bought with the one with a steering wheel plug.

13. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Thanks for letting me know, much appreciated. Will update once all the various bits arrive!

14. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All fitted, just need patch from connect2 for steering wheel controls. I had to buy a handbrake bypass wire for Bluetooth controls as I couldn't locate the handbrake ground wire

Attached Files:

15. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    That looks amazing - well done!!! Did you manage to find the speed pulse and reverse, and if so, where did you take them from?

Just waiting for the pinout information from my dealer before getting my Pioneer installed, and was going to rely on the feeds to the speedo/dials area for the speed/parking (assuming the Edix and FR-V wiring is similar), and the right hand side fuse board for reverse.

16. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not looked for them yet, I will be installing the camera to it at a later date for reversing and my unit doesn't have sat nav. The main thing was getting the Bluetooth working for hands free calling and then getting the steering wheel controls connected up. The sound quality is awesome though. The speakers in honda are very good.

17. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Thanks for the reply - looks like I'm going to be the guinea pig! :Smile: Will take lots of pictures when it does all get done, which hopefully can be of use later. For the reversing camera there isn't really a "space" for it, so am going to try and cut out a slot if that makes sense.

Trying to use the below 2 as indicative guides, but if anyone has anything better maybe even with some dimensions am all ears! First link the guy replaces his existing camera, 2nd link it just a photo. There is an existing grommet in the tailgate (thanks al9955!), but it's on the right hand side of the numberplate, whereas the camera all seem to be mounted on the left side?! Am guessing it's all plastic, so nothing to rust once cut out hopefully.

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/1498306/car/1101088/2000157/2/note.aspx#title
    https://minkara.carview.co.jp/car/h...etail.aspx?cid=7555715&bi=2&ci=654&pn=1&ucm=2

18. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll look forward to seeing where the reversing wire is to help when I fit mine

19. Badger fhtagen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thought you might find this useful

20. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    great video. yes there is a guide kicking around that suggests removing most of the centre section of the dash including cup holders etc. I did that the first time for my car, more recently for another i worked out i could access the necessary bolts from just removing the gear surround and A/C controls as you've shown.
    - - - Updated - - -
    slightly trickier with the auto as the shifter is too big for the panel to come out over. You can either unclip the panel and leave it hanging, trying to ease it out of the way as you work around it or take the shifter off which is actually quite straightforward despite how intimidating it might seem with little buttons and springs to re-assemble.

take the 12v feed from reverse bulb