Road legal exhaust?

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by SamuelEK, Tuesday 9th Feb, 2016.

1. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Long story short, pulled over this morning by an unmarked 5 series. 

VOSA spot check because I had a carrier bag hanging down from under my car. 

Everything else was fine. Lows, brakes, tyres, lcas etc.. everything. Then asked to rev my car and told me its too loud. 

D14, bog standard mani, cat, and mid section onto a Superstreet N1 rep. Its deep but not overly loud I'd have said. 
    No noise test, VOSA man reckons its too loud and that was that. No vehicle defect note or prohibition notice but I'd rather not have the hassle when I drive somewhere. 

Any decent steet legal exhausts that are worth a look at? Or what rear silencer options do I have that WILL bring me into rights if I requested a noise test next time? 

2. [email protected] Commercial Services Trader

They have moved the goal post a little on this subject, they now don't have a DB level they go by they say:

There are limits to the amount of noise that vehicles can make on public roads. This applies to all types of vehicles.

In general, larger vehicles with bigger engines are able to make more noise. But say:

It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise.

All i can say is, add a baffle box in the mid pipe if your that worried on this matter :like:

3. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you want to get technical, then yes, your exhaust is illegal...as Civboy mentioned, you're not allowed to modify it to make more noise

however, what you can do is replace the whole system from the manifold back with a type-approved system, then you're not modifying the system to make more noise so you're technically within the written law.

However, the actual decibel limit is widely disputed, as there's not a numerical limit, nor has there ever been one. Basically if there's a complaint, then it's considered to be too noisy, doesn't matter if it's a VOSA guy, Police officer or a Civilian

For MOT's, it's at the discretion of the MOT tester...and i'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of MOT stations don't even have a noise dosimeter

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 9th Feb, 2016
  4. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll find a type approved system to shove on when I get my b16 in. 

The lad was very vague and the officer had nothing to say on the matter either so I'm not too bothered about leaving it on for now before the b swap. No real warning or prohibition notice/defect note. 

5. EG-nath Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've been pulled for various reasons in the past but none exhaust related.

one VOSA stop and they wanted to do a safety check (i was in a caged and harnessed 106 on way to track day, both FIA approved and in date at the time) so after checking my lights (LOL) and me pointing out that there were many sheds driving past and they picked on the 1 car that was actually well maintained and 'safe' they let me go

they clearly picked me out of a row of standard passenger cars so i felt a little annoyed tbh

exhaust wise mate, ignore it, there are plenty of noisier cars out there im sure

6. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. civtegra Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha yes @Mr Scott!!!!!

I've never had an issue with noise. They have you no notice because it isn't really an issue. They just have to be seen to be doing the right thing on paper by mentioning it. Crack on and enjoy.