General Roof bars - Thule Aero or Honda orginals?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by pipsull, Friday 3rd Aug, 2018.

1. pipsull Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pippa Williton
    Hi all...

I pick up my new (2nd hand!) CR-V next week; it's a 62 reg with no rails, just the fixed point attachments.

I'll need a roof rack fairly regularly for transporting a SOT kayak. I do regular trips over 100miles (not with the kayak) so if the roof rack has to stay on all the time it needs to be low profile for best fuel efficiency.

Would you recommend the Honda original bars (around £190 on ebay) or Thule's Aero / Wing bars (around £250)?

Thanks! :Smile:

Pippa

2. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Very pleased my genuine Honda ones.

Nice and quiet and look good.

pipsull likes this.
  3. pipsull Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Wizard... The bit that has me scratching my head is the change in design from 3rd to 4th Generation, which seems to have occurred right around the time of the car I'm buying! Some sites list 3rd Generation as 2007-2011, 4th Generation 2012-2016+; some say 2012 is included in the 3rd Generation...

Buying the correct set of bars for the design means knowing when generation the car is! How would I check?

4. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does the side profile look mine? (Look at my profile pic) If so it’s the 07 to 12 model.

5. pipsull Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've updated my avatar with the side pic of the car - I think it is the 06-12 3rd Generation type...?

6. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would say it is.

Differences were cosmetic mostly except for the different Diesel engine and an option for an auto on the diesel.

As the body shell is the same I wouldn’t think the food bar mounts would be any different.

pipsull likes this.
  7. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    Keep an eye out on eBay and Facebook marketplace. I got a set of genuine Honda bars for mine for £60 of Facebook. Only about 15 miles from my home too so that was a bonus.

pipsull likes this.
  8. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Is the kayak very heavy? I only ask because the wingbars aren't as strong as the squarebars. I have used Thule for years and only ever bent a set of squarebars once when overloading them massively on a Landcruiser.
    I have two SOT kayaks and the 3 man one is a lot heavier than my OK Scupper pro, I wouldn't like to put them both on a Wingbar but they squarebars take them no problem.
    Squarebars won't affect MPG noticeably and if you wrap a light cord around the bar in a spiral from one side to the other they are very quiet.

pipsull likes this.
  9. pipsull Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Bounder - I don't think the 'yak is overly heavy - it's an OK Prowler (13'), just the single seat so it should be OK.

Good to hear that the squarebars can be made quiet, and that they don't affect MPG too badly though! I've got a set of Thule squarebars but they need rails to fit onto; I guess I could get a set of rails for the CR-V instead of fixpoint roof bars though?

10. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    If yours has fixpoints I'd use them, they aren't the worst. You will need the feet and a set of adaptors to fit the roof.
    I wouldn't bother fitting the rails if you don't have them, they could be a lot of fitting as well.
    Regarding the footpack there are two models the 751 and the 753 the difference is height if you lay your 'yak on its side then the taller one might be better as you have the curve in the side of the 'yak that can touch the roof if its a large curve, in that case I'd go with the 751, if you lay it flat then the 753 which is only 8.5cm high might be OK especially with the extra height of the squarebar as opposed to the wingbar.

pipsull likes this.