Civic/6th Gen Sams K20 EJ6 Coupe

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by SamuelEK, Tuesday 22nd Dec, 2015.

1. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello! Been here a while now but only ever mostly skimmed my way through for knowledge on matters or to read the build threads. Some properly mega cars on here! 

Been an up and down sort of thing with me and getting going with the Honda thing. I had started work on an EK3 I had been gifted by an uncle which sadly was given up on down to lots of rust. Hindsight says I could have saved it with what I know and have done now but at the time circumstances wouldn't allow. View attachment 23908

So away that went. I passed my test, bought a Corsa... scrapped it after 8 weeks. Unbearable. 

I needed something Japanese... so I bought a Micra!

View attachment 23909

Served me well for a year. 

I then bought this.. 

View attachment 23910

View attachment 23911

View attachment 23912 View attachment 23913

...which was bags of fun, if not a tad thirsty. She was rough, ready, came fully stripped out. Loved it. Then this happened.. 

View attachment 23914

The idiot in me caused this, to which I hold my hands up and lesson learnt. More damage than meets the eye unfortunately. 

So back to the Micra, which ended up having a fight with a Tractor only two days following the crash in the Civic. Car-less until... 

View attachment 23915

Bog standard 99' Tropica! 61K, full Honda service history, 100% complete and healthy. From which I am building around now. Very very clean shell. Looks as if its been carefully looked after in its previous ownership history. Was very very nice to drive a car of my own that was all standard, very quiet, comfortable.. felt like new. Debated keeping it standard over winter and saving for shiny things next year... BUT NOOO :Wink:

View attachment 23916

View attachment 23917

View attachment 23918

View attachment 23919 View attachment 23920

View attachment 23921

View attachment 23922 View attachment 23923

Lots got moved over to the Tropica only three days afterwards  :Tongue:

It remains as a 1.4 for the time being. Its doing its job perfectly and even on the god awful TA coilovers (£40.00 for some quick lows, funds are nearing completion for some proper units  :headbang: ) it drives a dream. With it only having 61k on the clock and 4 older owners it still feels very tight and new, feels fantastic.

Im extremely fortunate I have the work place I do to carry out the work on my own car. Makes life so much easier being in the trade myself! 

The plans are over the next year.

- Seats. I currently have a single Evo 4 recaro to plonk my :thumbdown: on, but not one to match it. I either need to source one or find a matching set of seats to replace it. Some EK9s would be lovely. 

- Rear brakes. I do have everything to make up a rear 262 rear disc conversion. It just all needs cleaning up and putting together, but as yet not had the chance. 

- Rear suspension. I want to replace the rep Skunk2 arms and the ASR brace for something a little more subtle, and genuine. The plan is also for a rear ARB when I find one at the right price. 

- Interior. Want to source a full black VTi interior.

- Exterior. Lips are desperately needed. I have a rear VTi S lip but not a front one to match. Id like another set of fogs. JDM plates and get my EK9 recess plonked on. Also need to find a new baseplate for my 9 spoiler, although Im tempted by a more Subtle Spoon option that can tie in with my "Spoon" mirrors lol. 

ENGINE!  I did save the engine from the last car. While it was great fun its a tad tired, so Im going for a full rebuild with a few changes here and there if the chance comes up at the right time. Im in no rush to get this finished and in the car. Its very much an as and when sort of afair. Lots to find and buy, and more reading needed to see what route I want to go down. 

View attachment 23924 View attachment 23925 View attachment 23926 View attachment 23927 View attachment 23928 View attachment 23929

The plan is to end up with a car that will drive well, be track day competent yet remain fairly subtle and "OEM" looking. 

Current quick spec is. 

• 99' Ej9 Tropica
    • TA coillies :Frown:  
    • VTi Fan blades wrapped in Hankook Ventus Evo 195/50/R15 (Fantastic tyres for the money!)
    • Prelude 282mm front brake conversion with Ferrodo DS2500 pads (Pads were a steal at £18.00!)
    • EK9 grille
    • Skunk2 weighted gear :tut:
    • EP3 steering wheel (One of the most comfy wheels I've experienced, and looks right at home in there too!) 
    • Recaro Evo 4 drivers seat 
    • JDM rear light conversion
    • "Spoon"esque mirrors
    • ASR brace with Skunk2 rep neo chrome rear LCAs

To fit: 

• EK9 recess
    • VTi-s rear lip
    • Colour coded VSM sideskirts
    • EK9'd head lights
    • Front fog lamps
    • EK9 spoiler
    • Rep spoon front lip
    • Teg 1" master cylinder 
    • Rear 262mm brake conversion and EK9 bias valve

Lots more to buy! Its always moving on so I'll keep it updated here as best I can. Ill leave with a final image of how she currently sits. Thanks! 

View attachment 23930

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 4th Dec, 2016
  2. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unfortunate but a always improving start I can see.

Good job on getting a clean base and swapping the better bits ower. 

Interested what you do with the engine now :Smile:

3. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Crank is away in two weeks to have the journals cleaned and micro polished. Hopefully my new crank pulley arrives in time too so I can have the whole lot balanced together. 

Undecided on on what route to go down on the engine. I'd like to stay N/A but for the power Id like my best bet would be to opt for a B18c. Always liked the idea of a B16 turbo...

4. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

fairplay wish I had access to some ramps right now lol! looks good will keep an eye on your thread! turbo it u won't regret it!

5. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If I were to go turbo..

What are people's recommendations with regards to pistons and rods? I'd pretty much finalised my idea for an N/A build. Read that you can push them to 250bhp on standard internals on moderate boost? I want reliability. May as well go for a B18c4

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 25th Dec, 2015
  6. LiamEj9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's all in the map Sam, mines 357 on standard internals. 

My whole set up is for sale by the way. Engine, turbo the lot!

7. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

On a B16 though? Read too many horror stories of 16s pushing 300 and melting piston crowns.. 

8. LiamEj9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah it's all in the map Sam. 

9. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably go for pistons and rods for safety. 

Just ordered my acl big end and main bearings. Rings too. 

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 25th Dec, 2015
  10. JoeG Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Great car bud! Going to be epic in the future too what with all those ideas your running with lol 

Turbo it too! :Wink:  do it on a safe and reliable map and you'll be fine! I'm defy boosting mine as soon as I have the cash aside for a 16 and a turbo set up! 

But car looks great man, good start, looks mint and has good potential! 

Best of luck, I'll follow the thread closely :like:  

11. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Regarless of what wngine you going to end up with if you want to push it my first step would be to make sure the internals are spot on! If you want to be  super safe on a turbo then pistons and rods would be my first point of call!

12. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah that's my thinking mate. I've seen cars such as Liam's EK9 pushing 350 on stock internals on b18c4s but seem to hear mixed things on anything above 250bhp on a standard B16a2. No time like the present while its in peices I guess! 

I would love an N/A screamer though! 

13. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Busy few days ahead. Going to be losing the TA coilovers in favour of my old set up that's still sat on the broken car. EK9 shocks and Eibach springs until I can find a coilover that delivers something more than just lows. Frankly they're becoming increasingly bouncy and less compliant, doesn't make for a fun drive. 

14. kembrey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting build, if you want mega reliability chuck rods and Pistons in, but I've known b18c4 to be good for 350 @12psi of boost on some turbos, 

personal I would just ensure the oil pump / water pump is new, and ensure all cooling systems are perfect 

15. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Id be going with Pistons and rods if I went B16 turbo mate, wouldn't be worried with an 18c4. 

16. LiamEj9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's all about how much money you want to throw at it. You could also sleeve the block to make it safer? 

All low pressure turbo builds that have blown a motor I bet was mapped by somebody who had no idea what they was doing. Adjusting fuel tables are one thing, ignition timing is something else.

17. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the blocks sound enough. 

I I think I'll build the B16 N/A and look at building a B18 turbo over the next year or so. I can't go all out at once but I want to get the car B swapped in the coming year. 

18. kembrey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably the best bet there, had 2 b16 turbos and 1 b18 turbo, the b18 felt a lot better than the 16s, but had a high revving  NA 16a2 before only made 190 but was a epic little car!!

19. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys, anything different between the b16a2 and B18c engine gasket kits? 

Wanting to order as I can get it all back together in the next 2/3 weeks but JapServiceParts have been out of stock on the a2 gasket kit for ages. 

Edit: Scratch that, theyre in stock!

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 29th Dec, 2015
  20. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Could quite possibly be going B18 in this.. But not a c4..