Civic/6th Gen Sams K20 EJ6 Coupe

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by SamuelEK, Tuesday 22nd Dec, 2015.

1. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I got loads of it with the engine mate. Engine, gearbox, engine loom, driveshafts, EP3 ECU

Have bought: 

K Tuned Harness, K Tuned Immob bypass, B seriers outer CVs, K Tuned temp sensor, EP3 full rad, DC5 shifter and cables, EG subfrsme, DC2 steering rack, DC2 lower arms and antiroll bar links, K swap exhaust manifold. 

Need to sort a fuel setup and pick some mounts and that pretty much buttons up a simple, cost effective K swap package. 

Works out at just over £2000, which for K swap money is cheap! I found lots at the right time and the right price so its been coming together slowly but surely. 

I need to buy a clutch and fit a timing chain to it but that's a way off yet. 
    Would also like to find either an OEM B series (s80/s9b) LSD diff for it or better still pay for a plated diff but its money I can't spend at the moment. 
    Christmas is hanging over us all now and the amount I have to buy for people is ridiculous. Long weekend away with mates in Dublin in two weeks too that I havent budgeted for so its going to be a tight few months ahead!

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 16th Nov, 2016
  2. Kyron Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is pretty good going at £2k 

I haven't found any decent parts for my k swap used so bought a shifter new which. Has already got me at £400, looking for a decent fuel line setup but could always go custom braided for a fraction of the price of a k tuned and then buy a new afpr. I heard the b series lsds fit but is it a direct fit ? Would be tempted to take mine out the s80 but then that'll drop the value on the box and the conversion when it comes to selling it. Would be better if I find a DC5 box at the time but my box and engine will be the last parts to buy.

3. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was a click away from going for a new K-Tuned Race Shifter and Cables, then found a DC5 shifter with cables for £150! 
    £550 saving immediately haha.

Im going custom fuel set up I think to try and retain the OEM fuel rail, with an aftermarket FPR.

B series LSD from the S80 and S9B do fit with a small amount of modification. Something in the diff housing on the casing needs milling down and one of the bearings shimming out away from the diff slightly to give the correct preload. The crown wheel bolt patterns are the same. S4C (EK9) diffs do not AFAIK

I would love a DC5 box but the cost is prohibitive. 

4. Kyron Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didn't go for the race one as everyone has it and couldn't justify an additional £100 for less adjustment and just a different extension, I think that's the only difference.

5. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Talking LSD - have you chaps considered a stock K series LSD that is not out of DC5?

CR-V or (drum roll) Honda Stream (the ones with K series) have that OEM, but I can't comment on how it would work in more 'performance' biased car. 

6. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I havent to be fair dude. I do like how the B series offerings feel so that would be a bonus in itself. 

Be slowwww updates on this over Christmas. The VTI has to go unfortunately so I've broken that down for parts. 
    The EJ9 will be returning to near standard as Im selling off the B16 and other bits and bobs to put some money towards something else next year. 

Coilovers are off already, cleaned and greased, seats are out and covered, wheels and tyres off and stored away... engine will be going in the next week. 

None of the K20 bits will be going anywhere, I fully intend on using them next year! May have to change loom and mounts if I can't find a clean facelift EK/EJ9 however... 
    I do fancy a K20 Teg :Tongue:  

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 21st Nov, 2016
  7. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well as an owner of a stream I can honestly say that in the corners is slightly less good than the one for the s9b gearbox, however the factor contributing to that might be stock suspension, higher car so different way in distribution of mass and greater body roll. However once the body roll minimises it pulls a lot better than s9b in my opinion. Not trying to sway you but the CR-V or stream gearbox is not that expensive since it doesn't carry all the scene tax and you could potentially use the shorter ratio gears from the stream to aid acceleration. Bear in mind though that I haven't tried and tested that, so I am washing my hand of any liability if you decide to go with it and it doesn't meet your needs :Tongue:

8. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll have to do a bit of research then! Seldom that B series LSDs come up for grabs on their own... 

B16 sold today for a nice figure. I had hoped that I'd get £650 for the full conversion, reasonable I think. The engine alone with ancillaries + shafts has gone for £400! 
    With the other odds and ends I have left over and the interest I have in them I should pull £900.00 out of the swap alone once its all sold which is a nice sum towards a facelift hatch. LOTs of other bits to sell too so Im well on my way to getting the final K bits together ready to make it a bolt in, turn the key K20. 

Green machine will be reverting to a more laid back powerplant. Will retain the fan blades (Hankooks instead of AD08s) and lows on my old springs. Standard exhaust. 

So we're at: 
    - K20A2 Engine and Gearbox 
    - EP3 Type-R engine loom + ECU 
    - EP3 Driveshafts, swapped side to side, B series outer CV joints. 
    - Innovative EK K swap mounts for EG subframe. 
    - OEM Honda Clutch 
    - OEM Honda Timing Chain Kit with guides and tensioner 
    - DC5 Gear cables 
    - DC5 Shifter 
    - EP3 full width radiator 
    - K Tuned Immobilisor Bypass 
    - K Tuned Temp sensor sender adaptor 
    - K Tuned OBD2B K swap wiring harness 
    - K swap exhaust mani (Unknown make)  

Putting together my own fuel setup with Torques AN fittings + Hoses, OEM fuel rail, AEM adjustable FPR. 

9. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I go to collect an Ej6 coupe tomorrow. Full DC2 running gear Inc. brakes and has been K swapped in the past, so it'll make fitting mine a doddle. Getting excited now. 

10. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Love me a coupe! Although I am biased  :dunno:

11. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never been a massive lover of them, and to be honest it'll only serve as a stop gap/donor for the running gear to eventually go on a hatch. I just want to get some K20 track time in ASAP  :Grin:  Once its all up and running, with any niggles ironed out the fund saving can start for a clean shell.. I really really hope I end 2017 with an EK9 in my ownership! 

12. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wish I have kept my coupe... Wasn't very keen on them at the beginning either but since I bought once never fell out of love with them... Makes me wish I hadn't broke my black one to parts... Over and over again!

EK9 would be awesome especially with a K series under the hood!

13. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been to look at it today and I whole heartedly agree... with the wing it's gonna look awesome! 

14. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Function 7 LCA's and Facelift rear bumper sorted! 
    Just a bonnet and a drivers headlamp to sort and thats the body complete. 

Edit: Just sold my EK4 brake conversion, loom and ECU too so thats secured the Cusco wing and hardrace rear camber arms!  
    If anyone can point me in the direction of a facelift bonnet that would be amazing. Thats all im needing now. 

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 28th Nov, 2016
  15. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you get the coupe I have a smooth bootlid if you're interested in that? :Grin:

16. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got one mate! I'm collecting it along with the rear bumper tomorrow night while Im enroute for the Coupe. 

Giving the green machine a chance to stretch its legs and take me to Leicester on Saturday to collect a facelift bonnet, bumper and headlights. Body work done! 

17. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

18. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:tut: hell that was quick!

19. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No slouch me lad :Wink:

Theyre such an easy swap! Between 6pm till 10:30 last night saw most of it together. 
    What Innovative/Tegiwa kindly don't tell you about the mounts is that one of the bolt holes on the rear mount doesnt line up with anything as its not a LHD car, and as a result not a LHD subframe. USA made mounts... on the US cars the lower most hole uses the bolt that secures the steering rack to the subframe. So I had to spend a little time doing some measuring, drilling and welding to make up a stud/spacer for it to bolt up to. 

Aside from that: 
    - Clutch and gearbox on
    - Mounts in 
    - Engine in 
    - Gear cables/shifter in 
    - Driveshafts sorted (B series outer CVs, new boots, outer shafts swapped side to side)
    - Throttle cable sorted 
    - Heater matrix hoses on
    - Yellow Speeds on 
    - Function 7 LCAs on 

Still fuel side to sort, radiator to get, top hose and make up an exhaust for it. Im fitting the dash loom later on today. 

20. SamuelEK Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It lives....