Electrical & Lights SAT NAV DISC

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FUGMASTER, Thursday 2nd Aug, 2018.

1. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Hi All; I might have an issue with the Sat Nav disc in my 2009 Ex Tourer and may need to buy another one,so can anyone tell me whether all 'VER3' discs would be useable (my current one is from 2015)??

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Correct. You need a 3.xx disc. Be sure to get one newer than your current disc.

However, before you do that, are you sure it's the disc and not the reader?

3. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Just had the laser etc changed after getting the infamous 'Disc Error' ; put all back in the car last night and all worked fine for 45mins, the error message then came up again??? The place that replaced the Sat Nav innards did say that my disc(2015) was slightly marked, and I've just spoken with them again and am going to wipe the disc and re-insert to see if it still comes up with the error message. Fingers crossed it won't, and that it was just a bit of dust, but at least the repair's still under warranty, and I'm speaking with the gent who actually repaired the Nav. Thanks for coming back, and I'll let you know the outcome!

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you know anyone with the same disc version, try that if this doesn't work.
    Having said that, genuine used discs are often available online for reasonable prices.
    Do not, under any circumstances, use a copy disc. They will shorten the life of the reader so it will need replacing again.

5. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Thanks for the warning Nels; I'll avoid anything that's not a genuine Honda VER3 Disc, if I have to ( hopefully not?) replace it

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's also worth disconnecting the battery for 5 mins to re-boot the entire system before buying anything else.

7. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Thanks Nels, I'm not sure it was rather a Disc problem, or having to whip out the unit again and send it back , but either way I'll post how it went!!

8. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you can pop down to a local dealer and ask if they have another disc you can try... at least you'd know if it was your disc or the uni at fault... Any 3.xx disc will be fine as the unit will reload the required data from the disc when it first boots up with a new disc (at least it does on the 7th Generation, and it's the same system on the 8th?, just in a different wrapper)... Some of the 3.xx came on 2 discs one for Western EU and one for Eastern EU... do you have the other disc perhaps?

I did buy a copy... didn't know it was a copy until it arrived and I got a refund.. I did use it at first, but went back to the original soon after. Funny thing is, on my old Mondeo a copy worked perfectly well in the satnav system... but for my 2.xx ver I can't get maps newer than 2011 so it's a waste of time buying a replacement as it's still so far out of date... at least the 3.xx ones are still going.

9. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Thanks Heckler; I've spoken , as he thought my old disc was slightly marked, cleaned it as best I could, placed it back into the unit, and all works fine for 20min, then I get the error message?!? I'll call him shortly, to see what he suggests, but does sound like a disc issue to me?? On e-bay discs are priced anywhere between £35 and £70, Regardless of age, and all seem genuine; any tips on spotting fakes/copies??

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I suggest:
    1. You want Europe West (Not East)
    2 If someone is selling more than 1 disc, ask yourself, why? How do they have so many? Are they really all genuine, original Honda discs?
    3 Single listings are possibly more likely yo be originals, but check if they have sold others in their history.

andy83 likes this.
  11. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    All good points, Nel's, so Thanks. I think I'm going to try putting my East Disc into the unit, and see if I have problems with that, which might prove my West Disc to be damaged?? I'll report back!

andy83 and Nels like this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good idea. :likeit:

13. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate any updates about your sat nav problem..

14. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Had a couple of short drives with the East Disc in, and although it displays a simplified position map, it hasn't yet crashed
    Going for a 40min each-way trip tomorrow, and if that causes no issues, I think we can say it was a damaged original Disc? I'll report-back after the trip. On a separate issue, there are a few sellers of the 2019 Ver3 on e-bay, and they not only have Honda Discs, but others for BMW's, Audi's etc; can that be possible without them being copies???

15. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think the latest disc is 3.C0

You might find the odd one that's genuine... but I'd be surprised to find the latest map discs cheap that aren't knock offs... It's usually easy to tell...1: they don't look like the proper discs, the printing is either completely different or of a poor quality and 2: when you look at the readable surface of the disc... it's the wrong colour.

16. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Yes, that's the version being advertised (without the East Disc); photograph looks authentic enough, but you never know, and most are non-returnable but do have the E-Bay money-back guarantee; might be safer going for a slightly older, used, version?? Bit Miffed, as mine's the 2015 version, so pretty new!

17. FUGMASTER Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Ok, completed 2x40min trips last night with the 'East' DVD running, and although simply displaying and arrow and doted line, remained working and without any error messages being shown; so on that basis, I'm reckoning it was my original disc that was the problem?? The bloke at the repair centre did suggest that I try actually setting a destination on the West Disc, and see if that works, but I'll chat with him again today and see if he now thinks that's worth doing??