SAT-NAV? How Important?

Discussion in 'Technology, Gaming & Phones' started by Moss, Tuesday 28th Aug, 2018.

1. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wanted my next car to have A Sat-Nav built in; although I've found a really nice CR-V without a Sat-Nav. How important to you guy's is a built in satnav in a modern 1, or 2, year old vehicle?

2. Chrispike Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Most don't rave about them, as they go out of date so quickly and cost a fortune to update. But i've found mine invaluable in my Civic.

Even at 2006, most roads I use are on there. Its great for rerouting and I often find myself mentally picking out a reroute on there (33 years of computer games helping there)

I'd get one if I could! If that was not an option, the ability to fit a decent double din system with sat nav while retaining controls and it looking nice would be my next consideration

3. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Builtin satnav is good, but most are not great and Honda's is not the best. A new media unit with Apply and Android Car play is a good way to go. The Maps on smartphones are updated a lot quicker than car sat navs. Pick the car you like, the satnav is a fix for later.

4. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    My preference is always 'Built in' ; no fiddling with attaching your phone or Tom-Tom to the dash, just switch on and go! I've an '09 Accord Tourer, and have to disagree , as the Nav's very good and nicely positioned on the dash, and I really like the 'split-screen' mode, but of course it'll never be up to date as your phone. Hey, Ho , but as with all things, this is always going to be a personal choice, just like the cars we drive.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't buy a car without built in sat-nav. Mostly down to the fact that I don't like not having the big screen in the dashboard.

It makes me laugh on the motorway watching how many 320D's have a Tom Tom stuck to the window.

andy83 and FirstHonda like this.
  6. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Agree with you 100%, Pottermus, those BMW drivers are a laugh! Bet they don't have the Left/Right Turn indicator option, either (well, not that I've seen many in use, if they do!!!?!)

7. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    ^^ Ah, the 'my first company car' brigade. Usually poverty spec, but at least it has that important plastic badge on the bonnet to prove they are 'successful.'

Most would be better off with a top spec Mondeo for the same tax bill.

8. Jaspersd New Member Getting Started

Scotland Jaspersd Montrose
    I’ve just purchased a 2012 CR-V with built in satnav that needs updating. Cost to update is £176 from Honda. I prefer built in options but the update cost is steep as it’s complete Europe. I’ll buy if I have to but only really need the uk map. Is this an option? Do I have to use Honda to update my system, or can I use any SD system? Moss, I have seen a complete radio/satnav system for a CR-V similar to my unit for £312 on eBay that is a 2018 model complete with 2018 maps. Could that be an option for you?

9. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    I bought an Honda DVD map update disc from EBaY. I updated the Media software, as per normal procedure, and the sat nav and radio etc works fine. Just used the satnav to travel across the country, and it worked great.

Most car sat navs will have errors at some time. The only way to avoid that is to use a modern smartphone and a new media head unit with Apple carplay and android equivalent, and even then they have errors.

10. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I picked up a 3.C0 satnav disc for £23 of ebay a couple of weeks ago... At first I thought it would be a cheap knock off... in spite of the seller claiming they are OEM.

Upon receiving it I checked it over thoroughly.

If it 'IS' a copy... it's the best one I;ve ever seen. The text matches the OEM, the colour matches, there's no poor spelling or dodgy printing on the disc and the rear matches... there's nothing to indicate it's been written to a blank disc.

I loaded it up, installed the update perfectly and it boots up very quickly indeed, just as quickly as the original

I was sceptical at that price... But I honestly think it's legit.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    I don't know how they knock them out so cheaply, given the price Honda charges for the discs, but I likewise bought a 2018 update for my Accord a few months back on e-bay, and runs absolutely fine. Someone posted earlier that they;are sub-standard and so burn out the unit quicker, but I can't verify that one way or the other?

12. Maxaret Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Max Perth
    We recently bought an 05 CR-V with the original D Din stereo/sat nav unit still fitted.We both found the unit too 'clunky'/slow to use on a regular basis as a satnav so I replaced it with a pioneer DDin stereo unit and we will carry on using our garmin satnav.I prefer a 'proper' satnav with lane assist etc as I find they give clearer nav instructions than (say) a phone,although we sometimes use both.
    I only ever treat any satnav instruction as advisory/guidance and ignore it much of the time - but very useful for eta and in strange cities/large towns.And also great for a giggle at place pronunciation :Smile: