General scrapping old batteries

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Harvey, Thursday 28th Jan, 2016.

1. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have a handful of old car batteries that I've taken off vehicles over the years, all of them are dead now and won't take a charge as they have been stored for so long. The one battery that used to be good is now dead, which was bought in Dec '04 and I used to use to charge my radio controlled car stuff from.

Anyone know if they are worth taking to the scrapyard to get a few quid for the lead in them or taking them down to the council tip?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Garages collect used car batteries and sell them to people that come round every so often for a fiver per battery. I'm not sure how you would go about finding these people though.

Harvey likes this.
  3. Zebster Guest

I have some guys in a pick-up truck regularly coming round our little 'farm' wanting to collect scrap metal... They usually make quite fair offers for the stuff I give them. I once asked them where they were from, but they were a bit vague!

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 29th Jan, 2016
  4. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    My old man takes his to the scrap yard an usually gets a fiver or so for them.
    If you're not bothered about the money the local council tip will take them.

5. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Didn't even know they would be worth anything! I dumped my old one in the council recycling center.

6. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have 4 of them, so at a fiver each that's twenty quid better off in my back pocket than the council's

Bones126, sidPM-EG6 and exec like this.
  7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well it turns out that batteries are worth bugger all for scrap here at the moment, 2 quid each. Still that's better in my pocket than the council's