Tools SGS engineering trolley jacks

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Harvey, Saturday 28th Jan, 2017.

1. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm gonna be looking for a new trolley jack at some point, one that lifts higher than the current Sealey/ Viking one I have at the moment.

When searching ebay this company comes up a lot as selling a fairly robust and decent looking jack that lifts high enough and with a 3 ton rating IIRC, and shows a picture of a transit van on one.

Anyone got any experience with them at all. as I was looking at them and thinking £80 isn't bad for a fairly decent jack for an enthusiast mechanic.

2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I've got a 2.5 ton high lift version SGS trolley jack I bought a couple of years ago when I bought my 1st CR-V. It works well and is well engineered. The "high lift" bit consists of an extension that fits into the lifting pad, so you don't have to use it if not needed. It is needed for the CR-V which it lifts no problem. I've modified a hockey puck that fits snugly into the top of the extension and has a slot in it that the (somewhat unusually shaped) lifting points on the car fit into to protect them.

One additional function is that it has a "one stroke" lifting facility in addition to the normal one.

I've use it several times on the CR-V(s) with no problems at all. All in all very pleased with it. As a point of interest, I also have an SGS steel workshop cabinet which is also very well made.

Keith

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's good to know. I was looking at thsee simply for the fact it lifts a decent height and if it's well made and reliable then it's a no brainer really. The problem with my sealed jack, is that the wheels are too skinny so it sinks into the road and also despite putting more jack oil in it, the jack looses pressure and drops slowly.

4. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Have an SGS cabinet and have used their struts in the past, would certainly recommend them. was looking at one of their jacks but managed to get a halfords 3 tonne one for next to nothing so settled for that instead.

5. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

By the sounds of it the sgs units are solid enough. The halfords one any good as I can get that off the shelf in my local with my trade card, last time I checked they too where 80 quid.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I came across some OSB board off-cuts in a skip and use it under my Arcan all the time to stop it sinking, even allows me to work on a gravel driveway (two lengths stacked when on gravel) and it keeps the wheels in pristine condition too.

honda_saj and Harvey like this.
  7. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    I have a SGS 3 ton jack. I've had it about 3 years and my only gripe with it is that the handle at the end that you use to lower it down is a bit weak and over time has started to slip instead of gripping in to the lowering mechanism. All I had to do was crush the end of the handle in a vice.

I live 15 minutes away from their depot so I've used quite a bit of their stuff. I'd buy another one if this one goes beyond repair.

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is a review that speaks for itself. Deffo been wanting one for a while. In real terms what's the lift like on that three tonner?

9. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    I couldn't work out how to edit my other post but I forgot to say that I use it on my mates Hiace all the time and it has no bother lifting it. I've also used it on an L200 a few times. I've not found anything it won't lift yet.

Harvey likes this.
  10. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Edit button is the bottom left of your post. There is the quick editor and the full editor.

Hondalad likes this.
  11. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Thanks. :Niceone:

Harvey likes this.