Weekend Toy Show / Meet Car

4th Generation (1992-1996) vehicle added by RogerH69, Tuesday 10th Jul, 2018

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    RogerH69 added a new Honda to the garage:

Show / Meet Car

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I got everything I want to move to this car from the Prelude today, except for the speakers. Going to be dropping the track Prelude at the barn today, and should get the speakers etc, out over the weekend.

I also ordered a sunroof deflector (from the US) yesterday :Grin:, which should arrive in a couple of weeks.

If all goes well, I should have the car in about 5 days time, so getting everything ready so I can get it all in the car in one go - I may hold back on the reversing camera for a little bit though, as that requires drilling holes in the boot :Ohdear::Ohdear:

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

HK stickers ordered !!!! :Grin:

andy83 likes this.
  5. K24 CL9 GUY Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    This looks awesome - need to see more!

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

RogerH69 updated Show / Meet Car

View updates to this showcase item...
    - - - Updated - - -
    When I get her and add head unit, dashcams, wheels etc., I'll take some more pictures. From the pictures I have added, I'm sure you'll see why I had to buy her :dribble:

andy83 likes this.
  7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate she looks good I think I get why you brought her :Smile:...

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

She really is ready for shows / meets, and needs pretty much no more work done on her (except for that front splitter). This means that I can finally make the track Prelude purely a track car, with 'little regard' for keeping her show ready. I'm VERY keen to take the new Prelude across to Holland next year for Hondafest !!

andy83 likes this.
  9. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate all sounds great, its great to see her mate :Hey:...

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Picker her up today. Oh man she drives nicely. Dampening on the adjustable coilovers are set at '10 out of 32' (32 being rock solid) and she feels great. So nice nit to hear the suspension and shocks and balljoints rattling everytime you drive over a pebble....

JDM auto climate control works like a dream too. and that engine and gearbox combo.... had to consciously stop myself from being (too) naughty....

Took her straight to the barn to get the stereo installed and wheels swapped, and only just got home. I'm absolutely exhausted from the heat. Had issues getting front speakers to work (and stupidly checked the 'simplest, most onvious' thing last, so wasted most of the day on that. Will get some pics uploaded tomorrow probably. Still need to do dashcams, as well as more bits for the head unit, and the reversing camera as well.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

CBA to wait till tomorrow :Grin:

This is completely different to my track Prelude, and such a pleasure to drive. Got a few cosmetic items to get sorted, but other than that, she's going to stay as she is, so this profile probably won't get updated much [​IMG]

So got her back to 'the barn' and took her first pictures (as my car)
    20180715_142938. 20180715_143820. 20180715_143833. 20180715_143927. 20180715_143943.
    20180715_143806. 20180715_143811.

As she came without a stereo (or speakers), the first order of business was to fit speakers and a stereo
    Luckily there were already some MDF spacers in place to fit speakers onto
    20180715_144805.

And speakers fitted
    20180715_151655. 20180715_154237.

Then to make space for the new head unit (well, the Android based one from my track Prelude)
    20180715_155615.
    This is where it went pear shaped, as I test connected the head unit, and no sound came from the speakers, or the sub in the boot (sub was fixed by flicking isolator switch in engine bay DOH)

Not thinking to check the most obvious / simplest thing (speaker connections themselves), I took apart the spider web of cables in the dash, checked each and every connection and reconnected them and then ensure they were wrapped each individually with insulation tape
    20180715_173407.

And also tidied up the connections on this end of the loom
    20180715_172329.

While there, I also reconnected the cigarette lighter to the wires that had been redirected by the previous owner for USB charging ports (cool idea !!)
    20180715_161642.

USB charging ports with an on/off switch
    20180715_161647.

Anyway, back to the non functioning speakers.... I used a signal tester to trace the signal all the way from the head unit, and found that there was signal coming out of these connectors here
    20180715_183707.

But when I connected the matching plugs to wires with speaker connectors on the end, nothing... what are the odds of having dodgy plugs on BOTH sides of the car.... Anyways, I got rid of those plugs and connected the wires directly to the speakers, and they worked.

This is the head unit I am using. It also has a Wifi antenna and GPS receiver I need to mount and connect, but I ran out of time, as I'd wasted so much of it getting the speakers to work. These will be fitted in due course
    20180715_202050.

I then swapped all the wheels with those from the track Prelude
    20180715_201908. 20180715_201855.

And a cheeky front shot when I got home (love those headlights)
    20180715_203852.

andy83 likes this.
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Continued with head unit install yesterday, installing WiFi Antenna, DAB Antenna and GPS receiver
    20180716_200948.

Put the microphone behind steering wheel for now
    20180716_200952.

Haven't done the dashcams / reversing camera yet, as I was running out of time, and it looked like it might rain, but I connected everything that goes from dashcams / reversing camera into the head unit, including this control button for dashcams
    20180716_200935.

The head unit uses the WiFi Hotspot created by this little EE dongle
    20180716_200929.

So Waze works nicely
    20180716_203543.
    I also took the opportunity to swap steering wheels, as the one on the car had some marks on it
    20180716_170443. 20180716_170502.

Lastly, I also replaced the gear :tut: with the OEM one, and fitted the 'plug' the gear :tut: clips into on the aftermarket gaiter that came with the car (I like the red stitching) - you can see it in one of the pictures above. A previous owner sawed off the top part of the gear lever though, so you can't really screw the gear :tut: on properly. It sits tight enough though, especially with the gear :tut: clipped onto place.

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

In-between migraine tablets, I took the opportunity for some fresh air yesterday and installed the dashcams and rear speakers.

Luckily the speaker housings and wires were all intact and I just had to remove some sound proofing foam. The speakers I used were low profile, so didn't need MDF spacers to stop the speaker magnet from hitting the tension bars of the boot mechanism. I also decided to use the speaker covers from the track Prelude that I'd already sprayed with matt black paint, as they were horribly faded from the sun. The parcel shelf itself was in much better condition, so I didn;t bother taking that out and spraying it
    20180717_164747.

Dash cam GPS receiver / speaker combo for dashcams is in the normal place on the dash
    20180717_115217.

Having practiced a fair few times with removing and refitting trim on the track Prelude, getting the dashcams mounted and cables run was easy and all done without breaking a single trim clip :clap: Then cam the task of tidying up the mass of cabling (yes that's all just for the dashcams :Ohdear:)
    20180717_115649.

Bit better
    20180717_122324.

And then mounted and tucked away (will tidy up even more shortly, when I get the proper mounting bracket out of the track Prelude. I've put it here so that it's out of the way, but I can also easily reach it from the driver's seat if necessary
    20180717_122848.

The control button (start / stop recording and write protect video files) is much closer, in the center console (sorry for tatty trim - to be replaced)
    20180717_115813.

And hooked up to head unit, as usual
    20180717_120727.

I also received (pretty quick, coming from the US... - screw you Trump with your 25% taxes !!!)) the sunroof wind deflector and fitted it. Works really nicely.
    20180717_125035. 20180717_173751.

Then it was off to the beach for her first meet. Cheeky snapshot time !!
    20180717_204822.

Taking her down to the coast on a nice drive made me realize that the issue with a lot of vibration / juddering in the steering wheel is most likely due to the wheels I fitted (was the same on track Prelude, but worse, as 4WS wasn't working most of the time). I'll therefore be re-fitting the buddy club wheels the car came with and get the other wheels seen to in due course.

I also drove all the way down to the coast with the 4WS light on, and no 4WS... I thought I'd blown the 4WS ECU by mistakenly shorting the wires that a previous owner installed for resetting the 4WS ECU, because when I flicked this switch, the 4WS light stayed on, and when you started the engine, you couldn't hear the 4WS ECU doing it's standard 'clicking' thing as it initializes. Turns out that what I'd actually down is mistakenly kicked the switch to 'off' when I got out of the car at home. This means when I saw the light on, I flicked switch to 'On, waited for 5 seconds, switched it back to 'off' and obv this meant ECU had no power.... Realized my mistake and dfrove all the way home with 4WS working and car felt much smoother :Laughing: Still had too much vibration / juddering in steering wheel for my liking, so wheel swap tonight.

Sat nav on the Android head unit got me lost as well, as it kept crashing and then when it relaunched it seemed to change destination, but not tell me (normally Sygic is pretty stable, so dunno why it did this). So I decided to just go ahead and get a Pioneer Android Auto DAB head unit that I would be able to play MP3s from USB with, and then plug in my phone for Android Auto navigation. The Pioneer unit will work MUCH better at handling music, navigation and bluetooth calling as well. I really should learn to just stick with what I know works.... will be installing the new unit tonight, and have already got a buyer lined up for the android head unit :Smile:

Attached Files:

Mugen_fd2 likes this.
  14. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    Proper nice colour! Some one in love with 4th Generation Prelude here...

RogerH69 likes this.
  15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

4G Prelude is an easy car to love :Grin:

andy83 likes this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Having gotten frustrated with the Android based head unit for getting us lost on the way to the beach meet the other day, I've gone and got a basic Pioneer double DIN head unit that supports Android Auto. Took out the old one, and popped in the new one. It also has a much better quality (and smaller !!) microphone
    20180719_210109. 20180719_210113.

USB cable with memory stick for MP3s, and I've also properly mounted the DVR for the dashcams in it's proper mounting bracket. Once I finish the install with the reversing camera, I'll tidy of the cables, so the carpeting sits properly
    20180720_074801.

The battery terminals were both on their way out, so I popped on some quick release terminals instead
    20180719_181315. 20180719_203439.

Mental note to paint that battery bracket...

I've also put the Buddy Club wheels back on and she drives much smoother, with no vibration in the steering wheel.

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

SUCH a pleasure to drive this car. I took it down to Portland this weekend, and drove it around there, before coming back this morning. She performed perfectly, and as long as I stay out of VTEC, she's not as thirsty as you'd think. However.... staying out of VTEC.... hmmmm... The way she sounds, it's difficult to resist the temptation...

So, while down in Portland, I did some work on the car. I put some gas bonnet lifters on, but they didn't fit nicely and made the bonnet lift on the side when closed, and also rubbed the paint on the bonnet and body, so took them off.

I then installed one of the 2 dashcams I purchased for her. The one I would have preferred to isntall was a very sutble one which was painted white, so would have been pretty much unnoticeable. However, the only way I could mount it 'easily' meant the image was upside down, and the camera and head unit had no way of flipping it.

I therefore went to the trusty 'Esky' version that I've used on three of my own cars, as well as 2 friends. Picture quality is surprosongly good, colours and night vision are better than most other reversing cameras I've use, but most importantly, you can change the image rotation, add / remove guide lines as well as switch between NTSC / PAL - all on the camera itself, using the little button below, which sits between the camera and the display you use. This is handy, as I am also mounting this camera upside down
    20180721_130924.

Fitting this camera was dead easy. I mounted it on the underneath of the top of the JDM number plate trim
    20180721_130701.

The cable was then fed into the boot, through the space left by the removal of the boot lock by a previous owner, along with a rubber grommet help stop water ingress (I'll stop this up properly with some silicone sealant in due course as well)
    20180721_130419. 20180721_130919.

The camera is a little more noticeable because it's black, but I don't think it's too bad (see last picture (car wash one) to get a better view of camera)
    20180721_161103.

As I'd already connected the camera feed and reversing power cable to the head unit, everything worked great. The guide lines you see are actually guide lines I have set with the head unit itself (this is after I used the control button on the camera to flip the image vertically and removed camera guide lines) - this allows me to set the desired 'safe' zone as it suits me
    20180721_160452.

While looking through my toolbox, I found some upholstery clips I bought a long time ago for the track Prelude (when it still had upholstery in the boot), and used them to slip the upholstery in the boot in place properly, as most of the clips were missing
    20180721_154808.

And I gave her a wash as well
    20180722_171946.

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Been busy in the dash again :Grin: The way I spliced in the power for the dashcams, when I switched off the USB charging ports next to the glovebox, it also turned off the dashcams (DOH), so I took the dash apart again and redid the wring a little. I also replaced the USB ports, so that one of them could be connected to USB charging hub behind dash for charging phones etc., and the second could be connected to the Pioneer head unit
    20180723_191822.

I also decided to get a Pioneer AVIC-F260-2 navigation addon module, so I don't have to have phone plugged in for navigation (which means I can't play files form USB when navigating). Also, this is something I can re-use with future Pioneer head units I may buy in future. As it comes with fairly long cables, and there's no room left under / behind dash, I fed the cables through to the pocket in the centre console. This also allows easier access to the SD Card, which makes updating maps easier. Traffic and GPS antennas are mounted on windscreen and dash.
    20180724_204111. 20180724_204117. 20180724_204106.

I've used this navigation addon module before, and it works pretty well (though interface could use a little refinement)

andy83 likes this.
  20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Found a decent looking 5G moonroof, with frame and motor, which I'll be collecting this evening, as the current moonroof in the car has a little rust on it. Not yet taken roof trim off to look at rest of sunroof, but will do that when I get round to swapping the moonroof glass.

After that, I'll have (I think without checking), sat in the barn collecting dust -
    2 (maybe 3) x spare 4G sunroof frames
    1 x spare 5G sunroof frame
    2 x spare sunroof motors of varying 'strength' (one seems a little tired and struggles to open/close)
    2 x spare metal 4G sunroof panels with varied levels of rust and wrap / plastidip coverings
    1 x spare moonroof 5G panel

Nick (the mate I share the barn with) is gonna have a tonne of fun ragging me about my ever growing sunroof collection

andy83 likes this.