Engine & Gearbox Slight hesitation when moving off

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by arahman, Thursday 11th Oct, 2018 at 4:12pm.

1. arahman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Sometimes I feel the car is hesitant to move off in first gear.

I find that unless I rev the engine quite hard while bringing the clutch to biting point, it feels as though the car is not reacting immediately to what should be a smooth move off.

The car was serviced by Honda in August, no faults noted, and generally, no issues at all with the car. I did a 400 mile round trip over 2 days last week and that went off without a hitch.

I am wondering if 5w30 oil instead of 0w30 could be an issue? It's been using 5w30 since July 2017, although the prev owner had 0w30 (Honda messed up my request for 0w30 during August service, so it was either 5w30 or reschedule!)

Mileage is 67K or thereabouts

2. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Oil won't make that difference, More likely to be the clutch needing to be bled or fresh fluid may help.
    Have you checked that none of the wheels are binding when jacked and spun?

3. arahman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    I've not checked the wheels myself, although Lookers sent me a video from the service where they checked the wheels and joints. They spun all but the offside rear, and none had issues according to them. I can jack the car and check the wheels again if this isn't what you mean.

I found this guide for clutch fluid change, unfortunately the images are missing, any idea where I can find 8th Generation specific guide images? https://hondakarma.com/guides/clutch-reservoir-fluid-change.50/

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What fuel are you using?

5. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    I've the 2.2 I-DTEC, and I've experienced that hesitation too; strange as otherwise she goes like a train???

6. arahman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    @Nels I only use regular Shell diesel, and occasionally V-Power once in a while.

@FUGMASTER yes, all good otherwise

7. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Is yours the I-DTEC engine? Definitely nothing other than hesitancy on the engine / fuel flow side on mine, as she rolls just fine if in neutral

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Our 'other car', a diesel, runs significantly better on VPN than standard.
    When your tank is nearly empty, try a gallon of VPN. (To flush the standard out) When that's nearly empty, pop a few more in and then see how it runs.

9. arahman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    @FUGMASTER yes, I-DTEC. Was driving again this morning and didn't notice the problem so seems to be an irregular thing

@Nels will give that a shot, will take a while to clear out my existing fuel, still over half tank left to go

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It may not make a difference, but it's worth a shot.
    Is the 1st gear hesitation when the engine is cold, at operating temperature or both?

11. arahman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    I've noticed it during both, no set pattern that I can ascertain