something died

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by azzab18turbo, Monday 1st Feb, 2016.

1. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having a leisurely stroll in the car earlier not spirited!!!! 

Turns out hitting a pot hole has destroyed something either in my gearbox or clutch assembly

I'm soooooo :tut: off but flip side I have 2 cars thankfully.....the rage for the cost of this tho.....killing me inside!

A pot hole has essentially destroyed my gearbox trying to prove that to the council won't ever work!

Also for the first time ever I forgot to take my phone with me lol ffs stuck with no :tut: to call

View attachment 24651

View attachment 24652

View attachment 24653

View attachment 24654

Turns out u can't tow a Civic with a bumper nearly touching the floor! And also not with the takata towing eye thing....bad bad bad idea that went flying nearly through my golfs back window! Wow! Almost funny that was cause it happened in slow motion and my mate didn't see :thumbdown: other than me running towards the golf like a clown stooopppppp lol 

Then the brakes decided to not work that was an :tut: clenching moment,  never starteda car aso fast in my life even tho I shouldn't of started the Civic as it was making some.horrible noises from the gearbox region! But was a close call destroy the Civic or destroy my golfs :thumbdown: end

2. N24NTY Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

:thumbdown: news mate! Make sure you let us know what went wrong. Be interesting to see.

3. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It'll be up in the air Friday I'm dreading the outcome ....hoping for a destroyed clutch ....not gearbox can't find an s9b LSD box cheapish

4. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A pot hole causing damage to the gearbox?

That sounds like a cracked casing from impact although I hope I am really, really wrong on this!

You don't have much luck with this car man and I hope that it will start being more enjoyable than in need of repairs.

5. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

illegal towing nearly causing an accident...:tut: well done mongo!

6. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How about u Take your attitude else where! Illegal towing.....so illegal that 3 police cars come past and did Nothing, and the fact tow ropes are still sold for cars under 2 ton means it can't Be that illegal 

NA i Know bro having a nightmare at the Minute can't Believe it 

And to add to the towing thing, it isn't illegal to tow with a rope aslong as its clearly visible and has a middle marker and isn't longer than 4.5m, to clarify the takata incident.....it was 2 meters down the road hardly putting lives in danger or causing an accident is it!

7. Hayes Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Most tow straps like that are probably made from shoelaces and held on with cable ties. 

I just called a truck when mine died, at lot less hassle

8. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i bet its not the gear box...bet its just a damaged drive shaft due to the impact :Smile:

9. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Drive shafts look fine and in tact from what I could see but will know more soon!

Just had a minor heart attack anyway, body shop come back with a quote of 2k for rear arch repair ...ermmmmm what nooo

10. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a quick wobble of the driveshafts today...drivers side errrr has play in it and passengers doesnt ....fear gearbox breakage!!! Nooo

11. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. naDiel Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Certainly did....

It is going to be the case of a new one I reckon.

13. N24NTY Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know it's a long shot, but a mate of mine destroyed an alloy on a pothole. He took pictures of the pothole, pictures of his wheel and sent them to the local council and they forked out for a new wheel.

Worth a try I think.

14. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah it's also a long process to claim against the council they will fill that hole in fast I personally think now it was a mix of the metal in the gearbox already and pot hole made it go bang! Mega amounts of metal and the oil looked like pure iron filings

15. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

todays progress then, gearbox is pretty much ready to come off, didn't realise I had to get to the last 17mm bolt which is pretty much resting on the :tut: downpipe of the turbo lol so :thumbdown: me I gotta get that off next more of a ball ache being under that car got :tut: all room to work around the car 2ft each side and about 1.5ft under it lol!

considfering I'm no mechanic this has been a major learning curve my progress was slow but good to be honest, both drive shafts removed etc all the parts needed to get the shafts off removed it was a ball ache but at least I know its being done properly

16. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

from what I can see here ...its jumped out of its bearing journal on the 1st picture and literally eaten itself! boom! wow what a mess!

gears all look sound tho ...well kinda lol

View attachment 24821

View attachment 24822

View attachment 24823

17. N24NTY Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

:thumbdown: man. How big was this friggin pothole!? 

18. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Which box is it ? I have a set of gears from a y21 that are un needed. Pm me if you need them ?

19. azzab18turbo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its an S9B LSD gearbox buddy, just gonna replace the whole thing and sell the LSD out of this box, could probably sell the lot to someone who could easily fix it but its hassle I don't want

one might say a considerable one lol! think a mix of solid suspension and it being on the blink anyway has contributed to it all just going bang! lots to replace now, new ball joints, new ARB links, new top ball joints, new this new that ... amazing what you find under the car when youre taking it all apart!

new brake discs etc lol gonna be like a new car just need to get the money together now lol jeeez

20. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Christ, that's pretty impressive haha, especially seeing the abuse standard Honda boxes will tolerate.

Like you say, it's all a learning curve, I admire anyone who takes on a gearbox / clutch job without any particular mechanical training / experience. Providing you have a general knowledge of what does what, and enough common sense to prevent stupid mistakes then there's not all that much to go wrong. Unless you're an idiot, but then I still recommend having a go, as it's likely the car will be brought to me to fix (£££ YAAAAY)

Have you sourced a replacement box yet? If not I'd certainly advise getting one you can see being used in a car first, or from a reputable seller that will offer some form of warranty. The Honda scene would appear to have some right c*nts, selling utter :thumbdown: at the moment :/ Especially on the Facebook pages. Wouldn't want the ball ache of putting it all back together, to find someone's sold you a knackered box.