Suspension, Steering and Brakes Steering rack replacement - 2014 Diesel

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by moob, Wednesday 12th Oct, 2016.

1. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Hi guys,

Just thought I'd mention that I've had my steering rack replaced under warranty. Symptoms below:

1. Car had been making odd squeaking noise from the steering column, which was apparently much louder when on the ramp.
    2. There was also a feeling of notchiness from the O/S/F when manouvering at low speed - i.e. around a car park using heavy lock on the steering. I could feel this through the steering wheel and the foot pedals.
    3. Vehicle was prone to over-steer - especially on right handers.

Honda had originally insisted the dealer merely adjust the rack, replace top/bottom mounts, but the dealer persisted and it was replaced.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is having similar issues.

dbrooks65, legend-ary and Zebster like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Well done Honda :Thumbup:

@moob how come your '14 Civic isn't in the Club Garage ?

I got a bit confused at first.

3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    @SpeedyGee, sorry dude, life's been rather busy hence my not being around, lots of marriage :thumbdown:.

4. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    @Ichiban do you still have access to the database? I'd like to know what's officially been done on my car if possible?

5. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I've an update on this guys.

The main symptoms of this fault never fully disappeared. Especially the stupid squeak which got worse. The notchy feeling in the steering returned.

My car is back in the garage, the dealer has been attempting to get Honda to replace my strut assembly completely, but Honda refused, telling them to again replace the top mounts. Made no sense, but dealer did so noting no improvement as expected. They then took it upon themselves to fit a shocker from a new Civic which fixed the problems.

They're now waiting on the replacement part after returning the shocker to the donor car.

The video from my dashcam helped illustrate the issue with my irritating squeak, have a look -