Service & Maintenance Steering Wobble Under Power

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Boggie, Tuesday 28th Jun, 2016.

1. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening All,

I have had a slight issue with the CR-V that is getting gradually worse so I want to resolve it:

If I am crusing at around 70mph and put my foot down the steering wheel wobbles as though the front wheels need balancing but when I lift off the thottle the wobble disappears. I know it is not wheel balancing as aside from the fact that the issue is not consistent and is affected by delivery of power, I recently replaced the wheels with a set of 20" and new Michelins. The wobble under power happened with the OEM 18" wheels and the new 20s.

Any thoughts please? Is this rear diff related?

Thanks,
    B

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have the driveshafts checked out, could be one of the front ones.

3. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting, I assumed this was the rear diff drain thing. Are driveshafts a common issue and are they expensive?

Cheers, B

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure exactly common they are but hey can go yes. In the overall scheme of things not too expensive to replace.

5. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Normally affects higher mileage CR-V's. If it is the driveshafts, you can normally get away with replacing the inner CV joints to cure the wobble. I've found wheels larger than 18in on CR-V's causes all sorts of problems.

6. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers both. 52K miles and the wobble startwd on the original wheels; the 20s didn't seem to affect it noticeably. Will take it To Honda and get the airbag recall at the same time.

7. sundance New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Will Plymouth
    I know it's an old thread, but did you ever sort your problem?

8. Paulwill New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Paul Will Merthyr Tydfil
    Would love to know if this was solved mine dies the same thing at 80mph
    - - - Updated - - -
    I would love to know if this was sorted by inner CV joints as mine does this at 80mph

9. Paul1000 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Neston
    I too have this problem at about 75, yet to check the front wheel balences but feels different, more money

10. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I had this problem with my CR-V. Had wheels re-balanced and wobble moved from 70 to 80mph.

I then had them re-balanced by an experienced tire chap and now I have zero wobble at any speed.

1066Boy, andy83 and Nels like this.
  11. Paulwill New Member Getting Started

Was your wobble there all the time at those speeds or only when under load?
    Thanks Paul

12. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Worse under load.

13. Paulwill New Member Getting Started

Will check my wheel balancing tomorrow
    Thanks. Mine doesn't have the symptom of wheel balancing tho as it does it under light load or heavy load and goes when you lift off that normally means it's something on the drivertrain out of balance

14. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Drive shafts or CV's would be my first thought .

Mikey421 and Paulwill like this.
  15. Mikey421 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There are rotating counterweights on each drive shaft that could rotate off their locked on positions. Get underneath and using a grease pencil or paint pen, make witness marks on each axle shaft and then go for a rip. Check them again after you get back and see which one has moved..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mikey421 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The weights are fixed on with bolts that squeeze the weights onto the shafts. Not rotating on their own, they rotate with the shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Kash Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    I had similar between 55-60 mph. Changed the driveshafts and all is well. Got them of ebay from a company called J&R who gave a 2 year guarantee and weren't too badly priced either.