Service & Maintenance Strange Aux belt and air filter

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by jd1959, Friday 27th Feb, 2015.

1. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Howdy, the Aux belt in the RG1 looks to need changing soon. Problem is its listed as 7PK1776L (56992-RTA-003) which is nowhere to be found and Honda is looking for over 70euro to get in. I found a 7PK1775 which I can get in, but can any parts guru tell me if the 'L' designation matters, I don't think the 1mm in length will make a difference.

Other bit of obnoxious part is the air filter (17220-RTA-000) again not listed anywhere other than (Air Filter JS A885J which I would need to import not sure of quality, happy to have comments on anyone who has actually used or seen this brand. To make it worth while I'd need to put in a largish order of spares to save anything. Again Honda looking for 55euro to get in, I'd consider changing the whole intake but it has a lovely sound to it already and there is an airflow meter in the box which would need to be worked around.

Any thoughts? I like OEM but for those parts at those prices spurious would be the way forward if they can be found.

Thanks for any input.

Zack

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Aux belts are generally quite generic so you should be able source one of the right width and length.

3. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Just to help any other RG1 StepWgn owners that may run across this the 7PK1775 fits grand. Still searching on the air filter.

4. Whisker Version Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    Hi Zack,
    I ordered a 7PK1775 belt , but a 7PK1770 arrived. The industry must think that 5mm doesn't make much difference, but there was no way I was going to get it on. Most "1775" belts I've seen are actually 1770mm so I'm struggling to obtain a true 1775mm belt. Do you know what belt you got, and who made it? Did you use any special spanner? I had a 14mm offset ring spanner on the tensioner bolt. I fitted it vertically, added an extension tube, then drew it down till it hit the slam panel of the bonnet, and this still wasn't enough release to get the belt on. What was your technique? Does a moon spanner buy more travel? I can't find any offset ring moon spanners.

Cheers,

5. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Interlocked two open spanners to get the leverage which gives a slight bend if you know what I mean around 1 min on this video shows.

If you move the PS bottle out of the way it helps give enough space to push the wrenches down. The 7PK1775 is a touch smaller than the OE belt especially when its old and stretched out a bit, I don't thing 6mm is a lot from OE but... Also check all the groves in the pulleys, mine were packed full of gunk when I did the belt which would take up a few extra mm of precious belt length.

Anyway I routed everything bar the radiator side of the power steering pulley and looped that last. It is a bit of a pain but doable. I did recently need to replace the tensioner assembly as well around 190k km so might be worth checking on yours mine was especially apparent when the AC compressor kicks in the pulley was moving way too much and causing a strange knocking/juddering sound. It might save you needing another new belt in a short time.

Good Luck!

andy83 likes this.
  6. Whisker Version Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    I might have another go with the 1770mm belt...it will save having to buy a different belt. When I tried making the power steering pump the last pulley to slip the belt over, I found the belt was obstructing the path of the spanner on the tensioner bolt, so I ended up reaching down to the crank pulley through the wheel arch, and trying to slip it on there.
    Thank you for your reply.