Sub £1k Track Car - What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by Turkish, Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013.

1. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Potentially going to be in the market for a road registered track car which I can use every now and again to absolutely obliterate on some track days this year.

And when I say obliterate, I mean I don't anticipate being able to sell it!! I'm not planning on doing many mods to it... Literally strip the life out of it, decent tyres, basic suspension/chassis mods and very basic engine/breathing mods. Nothing too advanced as I don't want to spend a fortune

What would you choose if it was your money? Budget of £1000 on the car alone?

My short list is as follows (not in any particular order of preference) - 

- Clio 172

- 306 GTI6

- Ratty EK VTI

- Very ratty classic Impreza

- Corolla T Sport (although finding one under £1500 is very rare but I have seen some)

- ATR (same as Corolla but I think the A7 lump would last about 2 mins of my driving!)

- 206 GTI

Just looking to see people's opinions and experiences really! My top choice is the 6 at the moment, found a really nice local, standard Nile Blue one for £999 with 90k ish miles.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013
  2. Ernie Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Saxo VTS... seriously, they are always quick on days that I attend.

My mate has a 172 that takes loads of hammer and is quick too. Eats wheel bearings tho....

They would be my choice, Saxos are MEGA cheap too....

3. R11CH Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Peugeot 106 or Saxo, cheap fun and surprisingly quick on track, had a great battle against a couple westbourne motors Saxo's and all the thou i was quicker down the straights in thee corners there was nothing in it, such good fun.

4. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mehh I did think about them, but I do hate Saxo's quite a bit lol

Also, buying a Saxo means I'd have to sign up to Saxperience.... FML

5. Ernie Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ha, yeah me too, but you can't argue with how well they go... nothing in it between my EE9 and a caged VTS at Cadwell last year.

Stay well away from anything turbo and 4WD... they eat fuel and tyres, makes the day twice as expensive....

6. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You could get a 6 cylinder e36 for that.

7. R1PPU Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My choice would be either a Saxo VTS, 172 or an MX5. I'm not a fan of any of them normally, but for that money, you won't get much better for some track fun!

8. DanT Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

id go for a cheap Civic or mx5 personally..surprising how well a mx5 handles when set up right

9. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

saxo vts or a 172. 

172 would be my choice though. i actually quite like them. plus you have a megane already, would look better on the drive.

10. TorqueCivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you get a saxo i will happily sell you some cheap bits off our vtr before it goes to the scrappie.

11. Ernie Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lazy engine, the 318is is a better choice but still heavy and they overheat at the drop of a hat.

I had an MX5 they are great in the bends but sooooo slow on the straights its painfull... mine was stripped to the bone, but just the 1.6 with LSD.

12. DanT Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i also had a 106 gti on my drive for abit..not massively quick but it handled very well tbh

13. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

how on earth is a 318 a better choice lol. theyre gutless peaces of crap. i agree 6 pot e36/46's have lazy engines but atleast they have some grunt, id rather own a 320d than a 318 petrol. 

14. Law Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Deffo VTS. You could get change with 1k and stick some good suspension on it. Torsion bar rears, but that's piss easy to lower yourself.

15. Ernie Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know someone who tracks a 318is, it goes ok, they are 147bhp stock and a dam sight lighter than the 6cyl version... Ok the 325 is 190bhp but your still dragging extra weight and its all in the wrong place.

Good drift cars, not good track cars.

Power isnt everything on track....

16. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

318 sucks! Was one of my first cars, and was probably one of my worse.

My best track car to date, was a standard 123d msport on run flats. I could drive round vxrs, fn2s, sts at Caldwell, as it's set up just gave me so much grip.

17. Daz_Kez Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Definitely a phase 1 172

Or a Saxo VTS.. I'd say a 106 but generally Saxos are cheaper..

If you need help with common problems on the saxo if you sway towards one then just drop me a message & I will help out a bit.

18. ozz9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why not an ESI, or maybe a CR-X? Both very capable cars with discs all round and independent suspension!

19. jtjtjt Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

CR-X / Civic EF - 16v or VT

325i E30 (go for a non sport, be cheaper)

328i Sport E36 - go for the early one, they come with a LSD and no traction control. Can be had for under a grand.

Ibiza or Leon Cupra 20v Turbo - (not the R version) - 180 BHP stock, can be tuned with a few bits to 240 ish.. for about another grand including parts - tuning will be larger bit of that £200 - £300.. or the A3 Turbo.

Corolla ae92 GTi - not the fastest but still fun.

Never driven a Fiesta RS Turbo but i think they can be had for around a grand? not sure on handling and reliability though.

Pug 205 GTi - 1.6 is meant to be better then the 1.9 GTi - same again, never driven and not sure how much they go for nowadays..

Golf 3rd Generation VR6 - torquey, bit vague but can be improved on.

Golf 2nd Generation 16v GTi - cheap and cheerful.

Astra GSi - old ones like L/M reg, meant to be all right.

Calibra v6 or turbo -

Civic vti Mb6

For a laugh,

pug 405 mi16 - pretty rare - or the turbo ti16 - sometimes pop up cheap

rover 620ti - stick a bleed valve for a laugh and thrash it. Stock they are very slow.

Volvo T5 or t4 etc

20. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

fuckin saxo :tut: on here today

Toyota MR2? Mid engined rear wheel drive, and a standard 3SGE has got enough poke. Easily get one for a grand. It will also be reliable and well built.

Find a rev 3 onwards and do some basic mods with your spare money.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013