Sub £1k Track Car - What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by Turkish, Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013.

1. maj1nboo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

id say a clio 16v, the old ones, 140hp 2.0 16v light as :tut: brilliant handling throw on a filter and they sound throaty as :tut:.

2. hasim786 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Has to be a honda if you want reliability

3. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4. J90 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

MX-5 for the RWDz.

No it doesn't.

5. haz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i would have to agree with the Clio 172

Haz

6. Kyron Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

whoever said mg is silly the headgasket will blow half way through a lap

7. r3dd3v1l Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed..

8. alex Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Saxos are brilliant on track though buddy.

Although I also suggested an Mr2

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 15th Mar, 2013
  9. J90 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Once you replace them they're actually pretty strong.

10. Barb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had an mr2 turbo on the track. Put slicks on the back and it was great! Could throw it into the corners and it wouldn't let go

11. DanielJames Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What was your mx5 a 13b with a gt35 turbo lol? Must have been set up well!

12. Josh. Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mx5's handle well but not well enough to make up for how slow they are on the straight, because of this you get some div in a scooby or summat been steady through the corners in your way but fast on the straight and they never back off and move

13. titch Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 16th Mar, 2013
  14. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh God. people like you make me hate car forums. 

15. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

im still laughing like :tut: at someone suggesting a 318 BMW and that they don't make good track cars.

JESUS CHRIST

16. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

me or haggis?

slow and underpowered.....sick recipe for a track car still.  :huh:

Maybe an e30 but their very tail happy. 

:tut: a BMW for track fun, drift fun yes. but track fun in a 318is sounds comical to me. even in a 325/328, still heavy and underpowered. 

i wouldn't even entertain taking my beema on track, even with the coilies and what not on it. it wouldn't be fun. 

17. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I meant that i agree with you, a 318 would be terrible. they are crap. I'd HAPPILY have a 325 track car, coilovers, seat, wheel and a welder for sub £1000 is completely doable.

18. lee4391 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

T5 Volvo. Can be had for cheap, sound awesome, go very well and can easily shed several million kilos buy stripping it.

My mate had one and it went surprisingly well, handled pretty good too. I'd just advise tyres with stiff sidewalls as they tend to roll on to the side walls and scrub all the letters off haha.

19. BlackBen Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My bad.

Still though, I don't think mine would be overly great on track. Seems to lazy, gear ratios are :thumbdown: aswell.

Maybe an e36 would feel more raw. Mine just feels like a lazy smooth chilling car

20. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

not in anyway knocking your driving ability, i can see you can drive very on track, but.............

look at how useless the M3 driver is in the vid, wasnt cutting any of the apex's, driving through the middle of the corners, its not really any suprise with your ability and his lack of you kept up with him

As for the 996, you left him for dead becuase he let you past!, once again, clearly was no where near as confident around the track as you were.

al9955