Sub £1k Track Car - What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by Turkish, Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013.

1. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My boss at work has one, really nice car for what it is, goes well even in standard form, would out handle a lot of other standard cars

My boss at work has one, really nice car for what it is, goes well even in standard form, would out handle a lot of other standard cars

Not biased or anything but you can get an almera gti for pennies these days

2. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh he'll yeah! I'd never ever even have considered a Renault before! But after driving that I'm now trying to sell van to buy a 182. Im half tempted by the Clio trophy but they are about 2k more just due to Sachs remote reservoir coilovers and recaro seats

3. ste91 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes but you aren't there to "perform miracles" you're there to have fun and drive at your own pace, if you feel comfortable in a car you're going to be more confident about pushing it a bit harder each lap and you're going to have more fun.

4. Daz_Kez Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've never had experiences with one personally..

But what about Proton Satria GTi?

They're meant to be fairly decent & cheap from what I hear? Not sure about other aspects of them though?

5. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My friends is a 172 with the cup chassis, 60k on the clock, he's only done 300 miles in last few years.

Been out in it and it :tut: goes well. Handles a lot better than some of the cars I've driven..

Btw it's for sale if you fancy it, quite pricey though.

6. richjatr85 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good suggestion that, built in partnership with Lotus IIRC

7. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I fully agree with your initial point Ste, hence why I'm looking at GTI6's as I feel confident in them. I reckon I could drive a 6 with much more confidence than any of the others suggested as I had a 3dr HDI back in the day and loved the way that thing handled!

8. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:tut: annoying, just lost out on a very tidy T Sport by 20 :tut: quid on eBay!! Was sat at £860 with 15 seconds to go... My maximum bid was £1073.77.

Winner got it for £1093.77.

:tut:!!!

9. alex Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Almera gti is a great shout if you can find one.

10. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like..

11. dangerousdai75 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

+1 for almera gti, mate had one with just lowering springs and it handled very well

12. alex Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd have a low mileage one tbh. Bargain vehicles.

13. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Black one just came up on AOC. 111k. Tax and tested. Bit of rust. £600..

14. Will_ep Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a random shout not sure any one has mentioned it, Citroen ax with a vts engine on Coilovers? Shouldnt be much above a grand, FWD with a good power to weight ratio ?

15. CG8 Accord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

MB6 stripped on ZS 180 suspension + ARB should handle very nicely on track.