Detailing Swirls - Metallic Grey

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by pointer772001, Tuesday 1st May, 2018.

1. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lee Norwich
    Hi All,

With the weather "hopefully" being sunny this weekend, I'm going to polish mine and the missus's cars.

I noticed the last time I washed it, that after I dried it off, I can see swirl marks on the bodywork, I was thinking T-Cut it then apply some fresh polish but is there another way to do it? I'm thinking just polishing it again will only make the swirls worse

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate will it be by hand or machine polishing, also really you would want to clay the bodywork before compounding and polishing...

3. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm ok this is sounding like more work than I anticipated lol think I have a clay bar somewhere

4. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    Swirl marks are often a result of how the car is washed/dried. May I ask how & what you use to do your cars

andy83 likes this.
  5. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Rimmo,

I use Triplewax Shampoo, warm water and dry off with a soft microfibre towel/cloth... maybe it's the cloth causing the swirls?

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate how many buckets you using...

7. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

one bucket and one sponge for the wheels and another bucket and seperate sponge for the rest of the car

andy83 likes this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

right mate here is something I would say to do get up to a minimum 2 buckets with grit guard, you can add a 3 bucket just for wheels if you so wanted, and get a decent mitt instead of the sponge, also i'd change the shampoo you use ...
    Thanks
    Andy
    - - - Updated - - -
    also rinse over car before starting to wash or use a prewash/snow foam...

rimmo likes this.
  9. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hmm never thought about changing the shampoo to be honest., it is quite crap anyway, not very strong, takes two capfuls before anything happens!

10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate there plenty of decent shampoo's around

11. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    I would also consider a decent drying towel.
    The amount of products out there is vast ranging from a few pounds to hundreds, it is difficult to recommend any particular ones, as really it is down to personal choice as what may not work for one person will work for another.

andy83 likes this.
  12. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate good point also can get spray waxs/ detailing sprays to help drying...

rimmo likes this.
  13. JockoT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nowhere
    I use Dodo Juice, rinseless. Brilliant. Two bucket method. Wash with the mitt then immediately towel dry with a microfibre towel. Makes a lovely job.

andy83 likes this.
  14. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have bought some Poorboys polish (specifically swirl mark remover) meguiars car shampoo and a nice new microfibre drying cloth, hopefully this will help!

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

16. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate have you brought poorboys black hole ...

17. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy,

No its "super swirl remover ssr" one of the guys at work recommended poorboys stuff so thought I'd try it. It comes with the proper applicator and buffing cloths too :Smile:

andy83 likes this.
  18. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok mate just look up ssr seems ok mate is it 2 , 2.5 or 3 ..
    thanks
    Andy

19. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi

The swirls may be from when it has been polished before with a rotary polisher. I would recommend getting dual action polisher (I got one for £60 off Amazon) and use that to apply your Poorboys.

When I did mine I used the T-Cut Black Paint Work with the DA which removed all swirls, light scratches and gave a good high shine :Thumbup:
    I now when washing the cars use snowfoam to start and use a wash mit to agitate, rinse, then use a good shampoo using the mit, rinse, and then apply conditioner after with a sponge and dry immediatly. Cars come up gleaming every time with no swirls, I also use a microfiber towel to dry it off with.

HTH

Last edited: Wednesday 9th May, 2018
  20. pointer772001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy, its SSR 1.0 I didn't realise what the numbers meant until after I bought it!

Bones, It was my dads car and I doubt he knows what a rotary polisher is lol, I use a microfiber cloth to dry too but its getting a bit old now I'm starting to think its mainly that that's causing the swirls and the crap shampoo!