General Switching to a different brand

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Sunday 11th Mar, 2018.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hey all,
    Was just wondering, has anyone changed their accord to another brand car or own a second car and what your views are on them comparing to the accord?
    Like I'm looking at either a 09 to 12 Mazda 6 or (dare I say) Merc C class around 2010-11, but am only looking at petrol engines. So, what are your expert views?
    How did you find them, and what's working on them is like?

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I sold my Accord and bought a Jaguar. The only thing I need to say is that I bought a CR-V 11 months later.

My Mrs has a Renault Clio that’s great and hasn’t put a foot wrong.

I wouldn’t buy a Mazda as their residual values are rubbish and I wouldn’t buy a Merc as they’re just rubbish

3. Eureka Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have owned more than a few Mercedes & the reason I don't own one now is one of the same reasons I sold my last merc.
    Rust.
    The newer ones are supposed to be better but there are still the stories about rust appearing.
    If you are going to look at a merc check it over for rust & not just in the obvious places.

4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I like the look of the Mazda's and they seem to be pretty high up on the reliability index and I like the newer ones especially if you put in a price. In scanning through the good and bad in Honest John the Mercedes 300 vs Accord the length of problems reported with the Merc would leave me concerned. I've never owned either so can't comment as per personal experience.

I've owned many different brands through the years USDM, UKDM, and JDM and in all areas I do keep coming back to Honda.

5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cheers all for your very helpful replies.. i really mean it :Hey:
    Yeah, quite right about coming back to Honda, as it's just so good, and the Accord has best of both worlds, well sort of, it's not miles away in comfort as compared to mercs or bmws and not miles away either in road handling and all.. especially with the 225's, just sticks to the road..
    But on top of all that, relaible as heck anything.. I mean, being an 03 and me not been attentive/taking care of her for a good few months,(was stuck in some s***).. never ever has been a point where she's left us stranded on the side of the road.. I mean really, there have been a case in the past where I thought, oh snap, she's going down in the middle of the road, but no..kept going and brought us home as well.. Honda:Yahoo::sparta:
    Hence is the reason, that I'm having the most difficult time trying to look for a replacement..
    - - - Updated - - -
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Accord, the only problem is, I only like the looks of this CL7/9 from 03-08 don't really like the newer shape..
    and the other thing, mine isn't an auto and doesn't have nav(not a biggie), I love manuals, but wife hates em and is keen on getting an auto.. and can't really afford to have 2 cars at the moment.. man am in a pickle:PullFaces::beaten:

6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I switched to Mazda for a short period, loved the car but the high level of rust was shocking and engine fault at 42k made me switch back to Honda.

7. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

:Aghast:

8. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    2.2 skyactiv?

9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    You could look at bringing in a CP3 or a UC1 Inspire slightly different styling with all the Accord comfort and a larger power plant with variable cylinder operation to keep the fuel economy down.

10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@Bounder first it's way out of my budget and 2nd, its a diesel.. more keen on petrol engines
    @jd1959 CP3 maybe a bit expensive as well and possibly hard to find as it's an american model

11. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Sorry I wasn't recommending a 2.2 Skyactiv, I was asking Duc if his engine trouble was with that model.
    Have you considered Lexus? They have some very nice models and you wouldn't be buying trouble with a petrol version.

12. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I moved to Lexus - a new NX - in September, and am already planning a return to Honda in 18-24 months. The engineering just doesn't feel like it has the same depth or attention to detail. As with Audi, I fear that Lexus trade a lot on the quality of their interiors (which are superb) but that blinds you to other areas. I've had more issues in 6 months with a Lexus than I had in 6 years with Honda.

13. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah was toying with the idea of GS300 08-10 reg but the road tax is just more than double of what i pay (£520 compared to £240)
    might be able to probably next year, but not to keen now after having first hand experience b/w honda vs lexus...
    I mean this is really good, your views are really making sense and giving me the exact sort of info that I need to buy my next car(if I do).. this is what you miss on online reviews sites where they focus more on interiors or the amount of tech inside the car.. but not what I'm looking for.
    :Hey:guys, keep your views coming.. or if someone on the club is selling their pride and joy (around 07 or 08 upwards) and has savnav(not really important but hey) and auto(wifey, i know) then give me a shout

14. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Just as an example with Lexus. After 2500 miles my front suspension was groaning. It needed to be taken apart, cleaned and re-greased. It seems like a common issue from the responses on the Lexus forum. The dealer says it isn't a 'fault' but is routine maintenance caused by the design and road conditions. Hardly confidence inspiring...have you ever heard of anything like that? I haven't.

Quality needs to be more than skin deep. It is with Honda. Move away to a different and less thoroughly engineered brand at your peril.

hsyasin likes this.
  15. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
  16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Mazda 3 sport 2.0l and not skyactiv

Bounder likes this.
  17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I won’t have another car that isn’t a Honda now.

Despite my lady’s 2017 Clio being perfectly fine, once I’ve got my front garden and driveway sorted we’ll be changing it for a new Jazz EX. Purely down to the fact we would prefer to have another Honda and it’s only about £30 a month more than we pay for the Renault on a PCP.

andy83 likes this.
  18. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    My wife has a petrol nissan note. That's been great apart from a rear bearing.

I sold my accord and was tempted by the new Mazda 6 2.2 auto until it only managed 37mpg on a run! I did the same journey in a CR-V petrol auto and got slightly higher so I bought one. :Wink: After 2 years I'm still loving it.

FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  19. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Dare I say it? Have you considered a Subaru Outback?

FirstHonda likes this.
  20. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Good call. The best car I test drive before I bought my Lexus was the Subaru Forester XT. Just wonderful, but too expensive and very little discount available. What a drive though...