General Test Drive Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Prestige Auto

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by tomwillie, Sunday 18th Jun, 2017.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Today I had a 30 mile test drive & have reported separately that ground clearance would suit my needs.

First on getting in the car I had to get the salesman to explain how the aircon controls worked as it is not immediately obvious. In this regard I must say that VW/Audi group Golf/A1, 2 & 3 etc cars probably have best control layout regarding operating air con without having to refer to a users manual.

Drivers seat was very comfortable and it was easy to obtain a good driving position after elevating the seat to highest position to enter/exit car without hitting head on door frame.

Electronic handbrake has two buttons, one the "handbrake" the other "brake hold". Salesman said immediately after starting car to press brake hold then whenever you stop the handbrake will be automatically applied & released at every stop/start. However, brake lights will be constantly on when stopped if this function is used. At traffic lights I applied the handbrake & covered footbrake as a precaution then released handbrake & moved to throttle only to be told in clear English that I must first press the footbrake when releasing handbrake, which I then did & moved off. When stationary with handbrake applied the brake lights will be off so consideration for those behind at night is an easy option.

CVT worked well with no real need to use gear change paddles but I gave them a try to find things out. The CVT is continuous with no artificial stepped gear changes & is quite responsive with also a kick down if throttled is floored. There at seven speed ranges so if paddles used to down shift the revs rise but speed remains same until throttle pressed more. If this is not done then after a short period of time the system reverts to auto. So revs can be increased ready for an overtake & using paddles seemed to operate more quickly than kick down.

The road noise seemed about the same as in my Civic Type-R GT, so not a particularly quite car on rougher tarmac main A roads that I drove on.

Civics with CVT do not have Stop/Start.

There is as much leg room in back as in my wife's 4th Generation CR-V.

Variable rate steering worked well & car took a fast chicane type reverse curve with no cause for concern.

In conclusion I prefer the manual gearbox over the CVT especially as I do not do any stop start urban commute journeys. When testing to accelerate hard onto a busy roundabout, EG to nip into a gap, the car lurched forward & was not as controlled as a manual so on a wet road the traction control would probably have cut in. With a manual one can feel the grip & moderate throttle & clutch with much more refinement than is ever possible with any auto gear change.

Most of the demonstrator Prestige cars now coming up for sale are CVT's.

2. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    That's a good review @tomwillie

I really don't understand why Honda are moving to air-con controls through the touch screen - so much less intuitive and slower than the rotary controls on my CR-V. The last VAG car I had in 2009 had tiny little 'up/down' buttons to control the air-con, set low down, so they must have improved since then!

As somebody who has no option but to drive automatic (due to disability) I've got very used to various types over the years. I've also been a passenger with plenty of drivers in manual transmission cars who really ought to have driven automatic - more refined and safer they most certainly were not...:Laughing:

A CVT will 'lurch' forward if throttle inputs are dramatic. The trick is to learn to drive gradually and smoothly. I've had my CVT MINI Cooper since new in 2004 and haven't ever had any issues...and my preference for an auto transmission would always be a CVT. Hopefully the new CVT will go in that direction.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda plan to ditch the CVT and introduce the DSG in the 10th Generation apparently and they are looking to do that ASAP.

4. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Oh dear, that won't be for me then. My experience of (non-Honda) DSG gearboxes isn't good. They always seem to be hunting for a gear, and they tend to delay when pulling out of a junction. Horrible things. Unreliable too based on my VAG experience.

foxleys likes this.
  5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bring back I-Shift!

6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    When you need to nip into a gap then a "dramatic" throttle input is usually required. Its a while ago now but the Nissan Altimar CVT Auto I drove from San Francisco to San Diego was smoother than the Honda CVT when "dramatic" throttle input was applied. The Nissan had a 2.5 litre naturally aspirated engine which is probably the explanation, as no sudden turbo torque.

Most reviewers of the Honda Civic in USA prefer manual over CVT but complain, as Honest John does, that revs hang when changing down in the manual due to a heavy flywheel but I did not notice this characteristic when I test drove a 1.5 turbo Sport. Also complaint that only CVT auto transmission is available on top spec Civic with leather seats. CVT transmissions are just not suitable for even mild sporty driving.

Be an big improvement if Honda introduce a dual clutch auto that can find the same favour that the BMW auto transmission does with road testers.
    The manual transmissions in both my wife's 4th Generation CR-V 2.0 EXi & my FK2 Civic Type-R GT are superb & we would still go for manual in 5th Generation CR-V petrol when it comes out and just hope a manual option will be available on top spec CR-V.

7. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

In my experience, most reviewers don't seem to have any awareness on how to drive a CVT properly. Having said that, I haven't driven the Civic CVT so I'm not in a position to comment further.

Personally I think manual transmissions will be consigned to history within 20 years.

^^ You've never driven a MINI Cooper with the CVT then...:Grin:

andy83 likes this.
  8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Current BMW auto gearboxes are torque converter type as used in CR-V, 5 gears in petrol & 9 gears in diesel. I tried a 9 speed auto CR-V & found the constant changing of gears irritating even though changes were smooth. CVT in Honda Civic is good for most normal driving situations as no gear changing is apparent. If autos become the norm then pedestrian detection both back & front will be essential to minimise accidents where by drivers in a moment of confusion step on accelerator instead of brake. The Civic has pedestrian detection on front but not rear. When I drive an auto, which is very rarely, I just use right foot but if you only ever drive autos then left foot braking is recommended.

9. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

When I did my advanced driving course, the instructor (a former police driver) had the discussion with me about left foot braking in an automatic.

His view was it is only advised when manouvering at low speeds, due to the risk of hitting the wrong pedal. However, he also noted that if he'd have seen me doing it during 'normal' driving he would have advised me against it, as he would with a manual driver, due to the risks associated with getting it 'wrong' especially in slippery conditions.

My understanding is that driving instructors still teach auto drivers not to use their left foot to brake ever, but I haven't had recent experience to know if this is consistent.

andy83 likes this.
  10. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I think the Civic CVT must have a torque converter clutch as the car crept forward when put into drive & foot removed from brake pedal. If stopped for any period of time I wonder if any benefit in putting into Park?

11. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Any idea or dates when Honda are going to start selling Civics with DSG?
    Thanks

12. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Last edited: Saturday 29th Jul, 2017
  13. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi Andy, I just tried the like & it doesn't work?

14. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    try the link now I've edited mate...

15. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    I tried one of the Prestige Auto 2 days ago & tried it last March.

A few things come to mind;

1 - The Garmin Sat Nav had problems showing the correct position: it displayed me driving through a field on a number of occasions in various places in Jersey. My 2007 (Nov) Accord Exec 2.4 Tourer Auto does not have this problem. Does the Sat Nav need calibrating? I have a Garmin portable (car type) sat nav, & do not have any problems with this.
    2 - The salesman simply handed me the fob & told me only about the parking system/how it worked, as far as I remember he did the same last March.
    3 - I have no idea how to turn the fan speed - it is not intuitive.
    4 - Good thing I can control the temperature via the control!
    5 - Why has a "Prestige" model not have full power seats (front) with memory? My near 10 year old Accord has, without memory!

It seems you have to control most things via the screen or a smartphone - does everyone have a smartphone or have a desire to control there car via a smartphone?

Above, I am sure will be sorted early next week when I go back to the dealer.

Despite above, I like this car a lot!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Opps, still no luck.............

Last edited: Saturday 29th Jul, 2017
  16. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Press CLIMATE & this will bring up fan speeds & screen, feet & face options.
    Screen has to be on to cancel Traffic announcements.
    - - - Updated - - -
    In USA & Canada power seats are on top spec but no memory which is a daft omission & bone of contention there.