General The 2018 Formula 1 thread

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Nels, Friday 15th Sep, 2017.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Not just 4th. He beat both McLarens!

andy83 and FirstHonda like this.
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    that makes it even sweeter :Hooray::gohonda:...

3. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Who are McLaren anyway? :Wink:

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Ha ha. And TR celebrated as if it was a victory. Great.

FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

F1 MUST improve safety for the guys in the pit. The incident today should never have happened. It just shouldn't.
    Early reports suggest that the mechanic, Francesco has a fractured tibia and fibula in what looks like a horrible lateral impact.

My thoughts are with you Francesco. Stay strong and I hope you get through this to a full recovery.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

"I think nothing can beat the feeling that we had with this fourth position "
    Pierre Gasly

Gasly was delighted for the team as well as new engine supplier Honda and was voted 'Driver of the day' for the Bahrain race on the F1 poll !

TR 4th Bahrain.

4th at Bahrain1523214193280.

Untitled 2.

andy83 likes this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

great pics mate, I totally agree f1 must improve safety for crews in pit stops bring back lollipop for the stop not lights...

9. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    “Fernando...Honda is faster than you...can you confirm you understand the message?”
    Cheap shot, I know, but I’m so happy, been saying since 2016 that McLaren chassis is not nearly as good as they think.

i-DSI likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The PDF programme for China.

China. China 1. China 2. China 3. China 4.

Attached Files:

andy83 likes this.
  11. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

qualifying results after q3
    q3.
    also feel its interesting to hear what Franz Tost had to say here

12. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Oh dear. Team mates crashing into one another is never good...:Blushing:

13. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Brilliant race from Ricciardo. One of the best races in ages all round...except for the TR result. To be fair, they always indicated they'd struggle with pace in China, and so they did.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  14. HondaHeritage Moderator Staff Team

slim london
    lol and you could say TR,s engine is not nearly a good as they think (unfortunately)

honda,s racing hasnt got off to a good start this year both in BTCC & FI

but possibly hopefully there has been a few signs of some improvements
    - - - Updated - - -
    was a a good race with some interesting twists of fate ,great mopping up job by Ricciardo ! as far a TR goes more continuity and less excuses is what we need to hear

15. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have never said that the Honda engine was a great one. They definitively have had a lot of issues with the PU, and still have performance issues. But what pissed me off is that McLaren put all the blame on Honda, they told everyone the reason they were at the bottom of the speed trap was because of Honda, and their chassis was at the same level as Red Bull. We just found in 2018 that it was a pile of bull and the chassis is mediocre at best.
    And also neither Honda nor Toro Rosso have made statements that the engine is at the same level as Mercedes or Ferrari.

exec and HondaHeritage like this.
  16. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Yep Honda have not claimed their engine is great, infact quite the opposite, they (Tanabe-san) have said they aim to reach Renault's performance by the end of this season, Renault is the 3rd worst or best engine, however one wants to put it. Although I think Honda is not far off Renault, around 30bhp down, main focus for Honda has been reliability, which has improved massively.

TR messed up the car setup for China, although they were never going to replicate the 4th place in Bahrain, as the PU nor the chassis can match the performance of the front runners yet.

Certainly this season has shown up McLaren for their false claims, lies and attacks on Honda's PU as BS. They are now rushing to bring out a new car for the Spanish grand prix because their car is frankly rubbish.

jcalvarez and FirstHonda like this.
  17. HondaHeritage Moderator Staff Team

slim london
    i actually enjoy this topic especially the passion for our honda engine but unfortunately its of little consequence with out the budget, chassis etc F1 is the most farcical form of motor sport in the world
    the yawning gap between all the teams below mercedes and ferrari is unlikely to ever be bridged if F1 keeps rolling along with contant changes involving collossal costs to all the teams to what end ?
    my only interest in F1 these days is watching the drivers race and am deeply saddened that some of the real talent on track will never get the oppertunity to shine
    i fear the cars are of no interest to me unless all teams were on a level playing field same budget and equal oppertunities
    as the rules have one make tyres why not a one make engine rotated through out the engine manufacturers ? at least that would be a start ,poor results from a team would at least then point at chassis design

the cars these days are ugly and unnecessarily over complexed the technology involved has no relevance or value to motor sport apart from ending up on our road cars with more crap to go wrong
    for those that ever hoped to have a go at racing even at club level with rules, health and safety feeding back down the line only the rich will get the chance these days
    and no its was not always a rich mans sport if you had the talent and the drive to race you could always find the money out of your own pocket to have a go

exec likes this.
  18. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    I don't have much of an opinion to say anything about F1 and its rules as I'm not an F1 fan, but with regards to engines, car manufacturers want to race and pit themselves against other manufacturers in competition and also the competing factor means they have to innovate, find engineering solutions etc, which can be fascinating from a technical stand point, these tech then filter down to road cars. I like that aspect personally, but yeh the financial constraints and certain rules do hinder level playing field.

jcalvarez and HondaHeritage like this.
  19. HondaHeritage Moderator Staff Team

slim london
    unfortunately this panda.,s to the big budget teams and leaves the lesser teams playing catch up which they never do

the tech that filters down i personally see as more computerized control systems to manage poor emmisions for badly made engines ,massive use of cheap plastic components on all cars and engine components that regularly fail (Especially on the cooling systems ) just to save money on casting components in aliuminum . flimsy panel work and crumple zone bodies making even a low impact accident right off cars to the benefit of the sales to the manufacturers and increasing our insurance premiums
    we have a 1978 honda Civic returning 40/5 MPG it even passes current modern car emmissions (done for the fun of it at the last MOT) why is this ? because the engine is properly maintained and tuned which is simple as it has a carburettor and points so why the hell do we need caytalistic converters ,lamba sensors ,air flow meters etc ,etc,etc,??? keep it simple and learn to maintain your engine, basic mechanics is not rocket science

20. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

For me F1 is about competing technology, the drivers championship is secondary. The moment we put the same engines, suspension, aero etc will be the moment I stop following F1.
    They need to remove the over-regulation, if somebody wants to make a car with a diesel engine, or a hydrogen one, or a 6L 16 cyl, 6 wheels, fine, leave them do it. Otherwise only the big guys are going to be able to compete. Also remove things as telemetry, go back to the info board for communication with the driver.

exec and HondaHeritage like this.