The EG Weight Saving Guide

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by Civic92, Saturday 4th Feb, 2012.

1. expatkiwi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just out of interest did you do this with the dash in or out

Cheers

Brian

2. CSMatt Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fantastic thread mate just what I was after. My EG should be here tomorrow so let the stripping begin

3. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the offer mate but i'm not doing the work it's with Daz at Endless at the moment so i've posted the windows onto them, really interested to get mine weighed properly as i think the :tut: scales i used were lets just say "out" I've removed everything possible apart from the electric windows and inner door skin ( door cards have been removed ) and it still weighed 870kg's :huh:

well impressed with the window comapny they arrived 5 days after i ordered them happy recommend them to others  :thumbs:

4. Ernie Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Need the dash out to get the jigsaw in to cut away all the 'spare' bits...

5. expatkiwi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I love cutting

Here is mine

10DB296B-orig.

6. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't see any cutting lol whats the interior look like ? here's mine nothng left to remove bar the inner doors after that its replacing pannels etc which there isnt to mcuh weight to be lost there tbo, the spare wheel well is also being removed to shed another 2 - 3 kilos not really worth it for the weight loss but should aid the areodynamics

DSC_1665.

DSC_1664.

7. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^^ :tut: hell !!!!!!.

Hang on! that rear seat bracket needs the chop.

8. expatkiwi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can't go that extreme with mine. I've been in to many cars that have crumpled like a pie tin.

Plus with the way the MSA are about rules for rallies I don't want to go down a road I can't reverse out of.

As for my interior its going on a diet now with any bracketry that's not needed going in the bin. Now I've finished messing with the cams, inlet and exhaust its time to get onto the dash as I've mentioned nefore

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 7th Jul, 2013
  9. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

lol all the brackets are going as we speak :thumbs:

this is just an LSI shell I paid £300 for the idea is to cut up and remove every bit of weight possible and when I come to sell up either sell it as a race car or drop the lump into a nice clean shell :Grin:

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 8th Jul, 2013
  10. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

At £300 that shell owes you nothing and its a mega experiment at the same time.

Have you seen how Elliot ( elmo ) did his tyre well ? Its in the 5th Generation builds thread. I guess that's something you might do at some point?

11. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

this is why its my Drag Rat she's there to be used abused and enjoyed she's only been cleaned 2 or 3 times since i've had her lol all i need to do is find another rolling shell for £300-£400 and it's £350 to have an engine removed and fitted so i won't lose much overall

I havent mate i'll have to jump over and have a look, i've just had a 3mm stiff ali plate made up that covers the hole and has an angle down towards where the bottom of the back seats should be,

12. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Even when you get rid of that shell you'll get £100 for it at a scrappy so the actual loss is minimal really.

If you give it a proper clean you'll polish of atleast 100 grams of dirt.... Think of the weight saving!

I think Elliot is building his to reposisition the fuel tank/swirl pot. Can't remember now. Either way its worth a read.

13. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^ i can't find his build thread could you post me a link :Smile:

Cheers dude

14. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here you go....

15. Tyler_boost Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats not stripped. My teg will be around 800kg with a cage

16. spennyd Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Be interesting to see you get a teg down to 800kg, is that with fuel etc in?

More pics,spec please

17. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You guys are taking it to the extreme. I'd be happy for around 1000kg including me ( 80kg ) and half a tank of fuel. That would give me 200bhp per ton which is handy!

18. Mr Scott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

details and pics please :Smile: getting an EG down there is hard work let alone a DC2 turbo

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 1st Aug, 2013
  19. Guest

Has anyone done one of these guides for the EK.  thanks.

20. civic-eg Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

EG roof skin with airport hole weighs 7.3kg