Track Project The Wacky Racer - "The new Money Pit" (in a nice way)

4th Generation (1992-1996) vehicle added by RogerH69, Saturday 19th Dec, 2015

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    All the practice I had with the Honda HDD Navi and the Pioneer head unit in my Civc made removing the Pioneer headunit from the Prelude and replacing it with the HDD Navi an absolute breeze. I've located what is supposed to be the VSS wire on the ECU, and I'll be tapping into that in due course, as well as connecting to the handbrake and reverse signal. This should hopefully allow me to properly use navigation on the head unit and confirm it works and I didn't break something previously :Smile:

I also located an old SD Card (the HDD Navi doesn't support SDHC, and that plays like a dream - much quicker than a DVD full of MP3s :Smile:
    20161023_170948. 20161023_170952.

I'm not fussed about not having reversing camera input or dashcams input on the Prelude, but would still be nice to find out how the heck to connect these to the HDD Navi - I'm sure there must be information somewhere on how to do this.

Nels likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good going there @RogerH69.
    Another job done.
    When you do find the camera input, that will be a smashing job completed!

RogerH69 likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Right then. i am disgusted with myself for being so :tut: lazy and not doing ANYTHING on the lude for so long. What's the point of having a (mostly) dry barn to work in if you still gonna bitch about the weather, Roger....

I've got next week off, so REALLY hoping to get through to the barn and do something.. anything...just to make SOME progress.

Hopefully have some updates soon...

Nels, DrSam and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Looking forward to it! :nodding::Thumbup::nodding:

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I popped over to the barn yesterday (DAMN it's cold there... damn puddles were frozen solid). Having noe been there for a while, I was a bit shocked by the mess - we definitely need to tidy up in there before we start getting serious about any work in there. While I was there, I DID straighten (mostly) the steering wheel on my Civic (parked outside the barn :Smile: )

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Met up with @nick-b at the barn today, and during a cleanup we saw that a bag og oil he had was leaking, probably after being bitten through by one of our local rats.
    20161228_175237. 20161228_175244.
    20161228_193527. 20161228_193534.

Most of the areas shown above was covered by the floor mats you can see scattered around the barn, so those are now caked in oil and need a good cleaning.
    We're gonna get some sand / wood shavings to soak up the oil and then give the floor a good scrub.
    We started up both cars, as they'd been sat idle for so long (had to jump start Nick's Civic as he left his battery connected, so it was dead), and they both started up perfectly :gohonda::gohonda:

We also jacked the front of the Prelude up and got it onto axle stands (I was waiting for the low profile jack to get in under the front of the lude. This means I can come back and continue removing wheels, brakes, shocks and any other stuff I don't need Nick's help with).
    20161228_193456.

There's mould forming all over our engines, coz of the cold and damp in the barn (see all the lil white specs on Nick's engine)
    20161228_193508.

It was getting WAY to cold to work (-2 degrees) so we called it a night.
    - - - Updated - - -
    No pictures of the obligatory Kebab meat and chips we eat when we goto the barn, but yes, we had some :Smile:

BB Baboonface, exec, DrSam and 2 others like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Any updates Roger?
    How are you getting on with your 'lude?

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

No updates unfortunately. Work and personal issues are taking up most of my time at the moment.

I was at the barn about a week ago and started her up and she started first time, even after sitting for so long. Left her running for a while and didn't notice any smoke from the engine bay, so it seems like the leaking oil issue was sorted with he gasket kit we installed a while back.. I've also bought a new filter the the AEM v2 CAI I bought for her

Nels and andy83 like this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP Roger. I'm in a similar situation in that 'other stuff' is taking up much of my time too.
    Here's to 'getting back to normal' :Drinks:

RogerH69 likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

WOW my last post here was over 6 months ago !!!!

Hoping to get some work done on the Prelude soon though, as I've changed my mind ONCE AGAIN on the Prelude and will probably be getting her back on the road, so I can take her to meets. So she'll be a combo track car and show car :Smile: (at least until I can get my grubby paws on a nice Accord Coupe for a show car)

Nick and I have a lead on getting a MUCH bigger barn, which has 3 phase electrics available, proper concrete flors (did someone say 2 post lift??), proper running water, and even able to get a phone line in. It would be able to fit at least 4 cars with lots of working area. Once we get that, we should feel more motivated to spend time working on the cars, as the current place is really quite dreary and depressing. His partner will also be running a small business from there, printing t-shirts, stickers, mugs, etc. Having space to have a BBQ, as well as sleep if so inclined, should allow us to spend more time there, and hence more chance to work on the cars.

11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Roger? Yeah I remember you :teasing:

BB Baboonface, Nels and RogerH69 like this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I thought he'd moved on to pastures new. :Laughing:

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Lol

andy83 likes this.
  14. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate Honda never leaves the body once we a bitten :Thumbup:

BB Baboonface and k20a3 like this.
  15. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Good to see you back buddy, look forward to seeing updates on the 'Lude.

Hope the bid for the new premises goes through okay.

RogerH69 and andy83 like this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hey @BB Baboonface :Smile:

This weekend I am hoping to finish up on a small project I started on my Outlander, but in the Prelude instead. I'll be replacing the stereo with a Nexus 7 tablet, connected to a small amp to power the car speakers, with internet access supplied via wireless tethering to my phone or one of those lil wireless hotspot dongles you plug into yer cigarette lighter. I've already got the software configured on the tablet (stock Android 6.0.1 with a custom kernel to allow USB charging and USB OTG at the same time) and confirmed that the tablet goes into deep sleep when I turn off ignition, and turns on when I turn on ignition. Doing this ensures that the tablet does not need to do a full cold boot everytime I start the car, without having to connect the tablet directly to the car battery.

I'll also look into doing some small jobs around the lude (clear SRS light, install CAI, change brake pads, some rust treatment) until my mate is available to help with the sub frame swap. If anyone have an idiot's guide to removing the ABS on a 4th Generation Prelude, please share it, as I really want to get this removed as it's not working anyway and Prelude needs to go on a diet for the track (I've lost about 4 stone, so it's time for her to lose some weight too !!)

BB Baboonface likes this.
  17. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sounds interesting throughout, the stereo/AV setup and the other jobs too.
    I'm sure you will keep us updated with the usual level of detail, so look forward to that :Smile:
    As for the ABS, i'm sure there will be some info out there on the web, Preludes are still popular as ever, so surely someone has documented such a process.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I need to hear more about this setup :Grin:

andy83 and BB Baboonface like this.
  19. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Me too, thoughts of space available to shove a pretty powerful class D amp behind a tablet has piqued my interest...

andy83 likes this.
  20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'll detail it as I go along. Getting everything together that I needs, and once I have a proper plan of action, I'll start recording what I'm doing in detail. Dunno what a Class D amp is, but you can get small USB powered bluetooth amps that put out about 50W per channel (stereo only) - I'm not going for this option - I bought a small Sony amp (arrives today) but not sure where it will go till I see how big it is.

Short teaser coming up shortly.....

BB Baboonface likes this.