Track Project The Wacky Racer - "The new Money Pit" (in a nice way)

4th Generation (1992-1996) vehicle added by RogerH69, Saturday 19th Dec, 2015

1. Mart609 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mart Dudley, West Mids
    my clutch was biting a bit high, I adjusted it and after a short while of driving the clutch started slipping. I adjusted it back and it cured the problem. I think when you adjust the pedal sometimes it leaves the clutch slightly touching causing it to overheat and slip

andy83 and RogerH69 like this.
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Just had a look at the to-do on my garage entry page, and realized I've officially finished my to-do list (including a TONNE of stuff not on the list that came up on the way) :Grin:

That's a first for me.... actually completing a to-do list.

what that said, I've had a long, hard think, and I'm not sure where I'm going with the old girl, as she's needing more and more bits fixed and replaced, and I just can't afford it at the moment. If I can get her driving again by randomly adjusting her clutch pedal until it drives ok, I'm probably going to just park her up until I know what direction I'm going in.

Though I was really revved up, having completed the 2WS conversion and polybushing, and getting to driver her again, I'm just not feeling the same anymore, laregely due to the latest issues that are coming up, and the fact that old knocks and rattles seem worse now, and having taken her entire suspension apart (more than once) I'm now aware of more things to replace.

I'm considering scrapping the whole track car idea (at least for now) as it's been two and a half years, and she's still not been on a track. As I DO attend car shows and club meets, I'm thinking I may change tack and work on a show car instead. Will hopefully have more of a direction and some energy when I get back from my South Africa trip

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Last night, I adjusted the clutch pedal some more last night, trying to get it back to engaging high, at the same height it was before ti stopped going into gear last week Friday. She's driveable now, but still struggles to get into gear in VTEC, especially at high revs. If weather plays nicely, I'll tweak the clutch settings a little more over the bank holiday weekend and see if I can get her operating properly again. It's a real pain adjusting her and testing, as I need to take the damn driver's seat out and put it back in every time....

If she behaves, and the clutch issue doesn't get worse, then I'll probably be taking her to JDM Combe after all (will be on Kuruma Shakai stand), and then park her up until I get back from South Africa, after which I may look into getting a nre clutch kit if necessary.

Having to stay out of VTEC :vtec:DOES have a positive side though... I'll use much less fuel driving her around :Grin:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just ordered a down / front pipe and replacement lambda sensor for her as well, as she sounds REALLY horrible with her flex pipe leaking

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dunno if I mentioned on here, but ever since I changed the driver's side seat-belt on the Prelude (for which I had to remove the ABS ECU mounting bracket, which currently holds the sub-woofer amp), I get a irritating vibrating metal sound from that general area. I removed and refitted the mounting bracket, with some foam on all the mounting points, but still it vibrates. ARGGGGH !!!!!!

Well yesterday, I took it all off again, AND took off the amp, and found that what was vibrating was the rear metal plate on the amp itself. Dunno why it started rattling all of a sudden. I refitted this with some thin foam around all the edges of the backing plate, and no more vibrations :Grin:

You'd think that with all the rattles, bumps, knocks, creaks and groans the Prelude makes I wouldn't even notice a minor vibration coming from the rear of an amp, but no such luck. And with my OCD, once I've heard it once, I can't unhear it and I HAVE to know where it's from :Laughing:

andy83 and Nels like this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Niceone:
    Normal behaviour as far as I'm concerned! :Laughing:

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Ever since I took the back seats out, the noise from the tyres and the exhaust is much louder (obviously), and if I every brake just a little harder than normal ( often, the way I drive :Laughing:), then stuff from the boot comes flying into the front of the car. To help remedy this, I originally put back the metal frame that the back seats bolted onto, and this helped a little with the projectiles from the boot.

As I was replacing my rear speakers, I thought I'd take the opportunity to make the speakers sounds better, as well as solve some of the noise issue and ensure that even small items didn't become projectiles under braking.

Measured and cut some 18mm MDF and made some speaker holes, and mounted the MDF onto the metal frame that goes behind the rear seats
    20180528_114733.

One can of Halfords Matt Black rattle can spray later,
    20180528_121436.

And fitted back in the car, with some new speakers
    20180528_152932. 20180528_153711.

I've left the old speaker covers stuck to the parcel tray trim (minus the crappy old speakers).

And as this is supposed to be a track car (yeah, I might even take it on track one day....) the speakers are on quick release connector plugs, and the whole speaker panel comes off by undoing 7 size 10 bolts . The spare wheel subwoofer is also on a quick release, so all the extra weight for the sound system comes out in about 4 minutes :Grin:

The speakers sound sooo much better where they are now, and even though the MDF doesn't cover the entire gap between the boot and the cabin, it makes a noticeable difference in noise levels.

Mart609 and andy83 like this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Greetings from sunny (cold) South Africa. On my last day here, having spent just over three weeks visiting family and friends. Just before I went on leave, I saw a 1996 4G come up for sale, and I said that if I've got some spare cash when I get back from ZA, I'll be having that. Seems I have some spare cash, so I'm going to go and look at it tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, and will most likely buy it, and HOPEFULLY have it by the weekend. Can hardly wait !! She'll be purely a show / meet / road trip car.

Not 100% sure what will become of my current Prelude, but it will most likely get SORN'ed (once I find a place to store it) and used as purely a track car. This will mean that I'll be doing even more of a strip-down on her, taking out pretty much all the remaining trim, except for the dash. New lude has 16' wheels and tyres on her, so I may swap them with the one on current lude, as I think those are more 'showy' than the ones on the new lude.

I actually almost bought a 4G Prelude while in ZA as well - 1993 Honda Prelude 2,2 L Manual - this woulda been perfect as a runaround when I come down here for visits, but unfortunately my mum's moving to a new place and won;t have a garage I can store it in when I'm not here

andy83 likes this.
  8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Went and checked the new Prelude out today and I'm in love :eek:

Should hopefully have her next week., at which stage I'll take some more pictures.

For now, I'm going to be taking a lot of stuff out of the track Prelude, to go into her, and will be SORNing the track Prelude as she'll be purely a track car from now, as I now have a proper show / meet car :OTT::OTT:

andy83 likes this.
  9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

In preparation for the new Prelude, I took out the dash cams and head unit. I'll take the speakers out (and put back originals) over the weekend. Leaving reversing camera in place, and will reconnect the little LCD screen I used previously with it.

Also got a cheap single DIN stereo to go in the car, and that's already installed and working.

andy83 likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Got new garage page setup for new baby. Will get more pictures added when I get the car

andy83 likes this.