Engine & Gearbox Time for oil change

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Monday 4th Dec, 2017.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I had always planned to get the oil changed at 75,000 ( was last done at 70 by a dealer 10w 40!) so I called HH and thought 5w30 was the correct one.
    They informed me its now 0-20 and sent me the 4 litres. I'm getting a garage to replace it but am I right in thinking its good to drain the old, put in a flush, empty the flush and then put new oil in ?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Flushing is bad and it's unnecessary on modern engines.

Its better to do two oil changes very close to each other, say like 500 miles apart. This effectively ensures all the old oil (pre the 2 oil changes) is removed from the engine.

Nels and andy83 like this.
  3. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Nels likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

Additionally, you will not get all the flushing fluid out. Do you really want some of that in there for the next 6k?

The two oil changes in quick succession is the better option. However, if you're changing it every 6k, you don't need to do this.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I normally do the two quick oil changes in quick succession upon ownership of a new-to-me car. I think stick to a £6K-£8K oil change regime.