Service & Maintenance Timing Belt Thread

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Rydo, Tuesday 22nd Nov, 2016.

1. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Has anybody bought timing belt kit somewhere else than from dealer, cost so annoying big amount of euros here. Ok, there are plenty of them on amazon and ebay but i would like to get it from europe due vat and custom fees.
    I will let my trusted mechanic do it at his shop, i can be sure that everything is done so it should be.

2. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Parts 772€ and if done at the dealer the work 585€ approx 1400€ all together, oh my....

3. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Little by little getting those parts, bought serpentine belt from the dealer, just to make sure that its correct one (spare part shops are offering at least two different lengths) 50€ that.
    Spark plugs arrived from Amazon ~70€/ six of them delivered and custom clearance done, i could buy them from my work (some Honda V6 outboard motors have exactly same plugs but even in that case they would cost me 16,9€ each, retail price 36-44€ each....)
    Got a notice from delivery company that they are going to deliver my water pump, timing belt and tensioners at wednesday approx between 10 am - 2 pm, ~250€ delivered.
    Ordered them from Partex Global GmbH , they have spareparts shop translated to Finnish, there are also some other shops but this one was the only one that had all the needed parts in stock and free delivery if the order is more than 150€.

4. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Malcolm B Queenborough
    Just joined this Forum having bought the 56 plate Honda Legend in August 2015 at 106k miles with Full Honda Service History and me being the 3rd owner And bought from my bro-in-law
    Only doing about 6k miles a year now. the main car is my Lexus Ls400 1995 with 203k miles and I've had this car for 6.5 years..... 80k miles ago, BRILLIANT cars

Anyway, the Timing Belt and Tensioner Comp ( I guess this means complete ) was changed by Honda main dealer at 103k miles ( the first change ) and the cost was £319 plus VAT incl parts and labour. .... no mention of the waterpump.

Because they forgot to do the cambelt change at the proper service interval they did the gearbox and diff oil for free ! A result whatever

Hope this helps

5. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Thanks for the reply!

However, you may wan to drain your diff ASAP and replace with Acura DPSF fluid. Honda UK are filling the diffs with the wrong fluid and it’ll wreck your diff.

6. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bit concerning about the Diff oil ..... mine was changed in May2016 and no advice as to the actual Diff oil used. .... about 10k miles ago now.

Evans Halshaw Honda at Ampthill Road Bedford ........... the invoice says " QSP Parts are supplied by Bramall Quicks Dealerships Ltd "
    would this include oils I wonder !

In view of the miles and time since the Diff oil change and it seeming to be driving quite ok right now, would you think the oil needs changing again ?
    Thanks
    M
    - - - Updated - - -
    sorry, I actually bought this car in August 2016, not 2015 as mentioned earlier ......... my memory :Innocent:
    M

7. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Well it’s running with the wrong oil in it. The viscosity is all wrong as Honda UK don’t seem to worried about a car long discontinued and with hardly any sold.

The Acura DPSF fluid is what was recommended in the very popular Legend market of America and Canada and a word of caution not to use the exact one Honda UK use.

It’s a case of how long is a piece of string but if you want to keep the car long term I’d spend the £100 or so on the right fluid and have peace of mind.

8. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you
    I've asked my indy servicing guy to check this out and make the necessary changes. The car's got to last at least as long as my Lexus ... another 10 years :BooYeah:
    M

9. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    In that case if you head to eBay US site and order 5 1 litre bottles of DPSF AWD fluid then it should total about 80 quid or so from memory.

I think the diff takes 4.2 litres in total.

Check this video for more information

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As the cars are 12 years old now, how many reports of exploded diffs have been reported in the UK because of using the apparent wrong oil?

11. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    The cars were given the right diff oil from factory and with the maintenance knowledge of the average owner most will still have this oil in there as people don’t even know what it is let alone ask for it to be changed.

Also, it doesn’t take a genius to identify the Legend isn’t remotely common enough on UK roads to have any kind of diff failure rate data.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry to double post Pottermus but we’ve already had this out already.

You’re someone who doesn’t own a Legend yet feel it appropriate to belittle those who do into trusting Honda UK with a car they care little about.

The US and Canada market on these cars is huge, they use a totally different oil, and have a whole lot more at stake with their lawsuit culture if all goes wrong. Therefore I would go with what they suggest.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

None then

13. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Whatever. It’s only us running the Legends not you. So I don’t really know why you take it upon yourself to come on this section of the forum in the first instance.

14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Because I can

15. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I’d like to defend Pottermus here:
    I feel that anyone should be allowed to post an opinion on the forum even if it goes against the majority wisdom as long as it is not offensive. It’s all good healthy debate. However I respect the knowledge and enthusiasm of Legend owners on this site and that is why I replaced my diff fluid with the DPSF as I intend to keep my Legend long term. After all, commercial pressures may lead to companies neglecting the interest of the minority which is what we Legend owners are. Anyway I’ve seen a label on the supposed replacement fluid for ATF-Z1. That being ATF-DW1. It states “not for use in AWD”. So that clinches it for me. Maybe the wrong fluid won’t cause catastrophic failure but we want to use the best possible fluids for our cherished Legends.

Nels and andy83 like this.
  16. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm having the timing belt changed next week at MOT/annual service by my local dealer who quoted £341. Not sure if that is reasonable or not but I don't want to risk leaving it. I have asked that they leave me the old one as I'm interested to see the condition of it.

Rydo and andy83 like this.
  17. Rydo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    I’m all for free speech but he’s made his point which is basically to insult me, call me a YouTube mechanic etc rather than acknowledge the facts like you’ve just iterated.

Last edited: Monday 29th Jan, 2018
  18. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

see above .. in May 2016 Honda main dealer charged £349 plus VAT all-up ............ so 2 years on £341 plus vat presumably ? is a good price.

M

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This is an open forum. As long as posts do not breach the Community Rules, they are allowed.

If any member disagrees with another's member's post then they can do. We like debate. Again, this must be within the rules.

If anyone feels the rules have been broken, please report it.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Oh, BTW, whilst I love to disagree with @Pottermus about a variety of things, I know I stand little chance challenging his Honda knowledge...

Maintenanceman likes this.