General Towing with a JDM vehicle

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by djcrossie, Wednesday 21st Feb, 2018.

1. djcrossie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave West Midlands
    Came across this article today which I thought some might find useful. I don't tow with my Odyssey and never intend to but I know of a few of the Elysion owners who either do or are looking to. The response from the DVSA is interesting especially seeing as what the gov.uk website states.

Japanese import towing weights - Andrew's Japanese Cars

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate an interesting read but also people need to remember what there licence covers on weights ECT..
    Thanks
    Andy

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Whole can of worms just there

andy83 likes this.
  4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    My undersranding is thst EEC legislation requires for a vehicle to tow it must be type approved for such use and display the relevant weights. If it isn't type approved (by the manufacturer) then it can't tow.

Skoda fell foul of this with a particular version of the Kodiak which they omitted to have type approved for towing, much to the annoyance of those who bought it to do so.

Keith

5. Treehugger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Edinburgh
    Argh!
    The only reason I need a tow bar is so that I can mount my bike rack.
    I don’t want to get into hot water with this and thinking further down the line if you sold the car and the purchaser overloads the tow bar. You would be liable because you fitted a tow bar in the knowledge that it was un plated.
    So here is a question that might form part of a solution to the bike issue.
    Will a tail gate bike rack from a VW T5 fit an Elysion?