Tools Trolley jack problems

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by sawf1, Wednesday 11th Oct, 2017.

1. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Hi guys,

Hoping I can pick some brains for some advice. Last week I went to do an oil change on my car only to find my trolley jack won't lift at all. I checked the fluid level which was slightly low, so having refilled it and bled it as per the instructions it still won't lift. I don't know much about jack's a so don't even know where to start. Its a sealey 3000cxd. Any ideas?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Does it leak?
    If it does you need to repair the seals.
    If it doesn't you need to bleed it again.
    Open the small rubber bung on the bottle and fill with jack oil, open the valve and pump.
    Repeat until the jack starts to lift.
    if it doesn't lift after bleeding and repeated fills then you need to rebuild it with new seals.
    It may take a lot of oil and pumping to bleed it properly.

Harvey likes this.
  4. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

as above, you will need to fill it and bleed all the air out of the system. how old is the jack and is there any warranty left on it?

5. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Thanks for the replies guys. It doesn't appear to leak as far as I can tell, and i've ordered a new set of seals for it. Now I just need to find the time and motivation to do it. I've bled it loads of times and the oil level doesn't go down, leading me to believe it's full. Hopefully i'll be able to work out how to take it apart/put it back together from the diagram nels posted. The jack is less than 2 years old and has seen very little use as i've only the one car, and touch wood nothing has gone wrong so far. It came with a 1 year warranty and I won't be buying another sealey jack based on this experience.

Harvey likes this.
  6. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I too have some problems with my sealey trolley jack. While it works fine, jacking and lowering a car no problems. I do find that my jack drops on its own. For example, one one occasion I was changing a wheel, and just had the car supported on the jack enough to allow me to take the wheel off. Got disturbed and started talking to my neighbour while standing next to the car, when I come to put the wheel back on, the car was significantly lower than where I had left it. And while inadmit that is not best practice, I was merely changing a wheel so saw no need for further support.

It seems then that Sealey/ Viking jacks have problems with the seals.

7. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I have no time for jacks that collapse. I would cut it up and bin it.
    Seriously its not worth the risk.
    Jacking a car, stick the wheel under the sill at least that way if something goes wrong it won't fall on you or your hand or someone else.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If there aren't strong axle stands holding her up, I'm not going under my cars.
    The trolley jack is there purely to get the stands under.
    Never ever trust a hydraulic jack as the only support and as for scissor jacks, changing wheels is about all they are good for.