Suspension, Steering and Brakes Type S 2.0 EV1 woes....

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by k20a3, Thursday 10th Mar, 2016.

1. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

A while ago I decided to replace the worn front shocks and springs on the Type-S 5dr we have. I have got new shocks from Bilstein. They are just B4 replacements for existing ones.

My problem is when I have tried to source replacement springs for it. Honda UK are unable to supply any until 29/04/2016 and are on back order accordingly. I have contacted many main dealers but non carry them in stock. I have hunted everywhere online even looking into alternate springs even if they were to lower the car by a small amount. (30mm)
    Doesn't seem anyone does them!! Some have occasionaly listed springs for Type-S EV1, but when going to order them they call back saying actually they are not for your model.... :Frown:

I am wondering if I could fit Type-R EP3 springs to these shocks I have bought? Has anyone here fitted EP3 springs onto EV1 shocks? If so was there any difference?

Please help, any info would be appreciated. Worst case I will just have to wait until the end of April to do the job :Frown:

Thanks

Joe

2. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Try KYB RA2836. narrowed a search down to that part number

3. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks,

After checking that number it seems it's only suitable for 3dr's 1.6 and below.

Thanks....

4. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    kyb catalogue lists this:
    2.0 Type-R (EU, EP, EV) 9.01- 9.05 RA3315
    - - - Updated - - -
    the shocks catalogue lists 331011 L 331010 R as the shocks for EV1, EP3 and EU9.

Based on that I'd go with the RA3315 springs

5. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many Thanks qc2...

I will take a look.

6. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok so in the end I ordered the Honda springs. They will arrive in a weeks time.

Insurance weren't happy with lowering springs.

7. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok so I ordered the springs online from maindealer. They gave me an eta of 22/04/16. I emailed them on that day and they said that Honda now have an eta of September this year

So frustrating. So again can I appeal to everyone here, has anyone any knowledge about fitting EP3 springs to my new shocks which are waiting patiently in the garage. I bought new blistein shocks which are listed as
    Bilstein B4 Front Kit Car Pressure Shock Absorbers Dampers 22-151223 22-151230

They list as compatible for EP3 so I really wanted to know if anyone has fitted EP3 springs to their EV1 with any success?

Many Thanks

Joe

8. russ.pennington5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I fitted H&R lowering springs for an EP3 to my ev1! They were fine!

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

BB Baboonface likes this.
  9. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    There's only 50kg difference in kerb weight, less than the weight of a passenger.

I got full EP3 coilies on my EV :Smile:

andy83 likes this.
  10. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    i can tell none of you live in london we have more humps and bumps than roads :eek::eek:

11. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lol. Int sunny North we got pits and potholes between the lumps and bumps! :Smile:

andy83 and honda_saj like this.
  12. honda_saj Banned

haha you need to chase up the councils :Wink:

13. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

To update this... I complained to Honda about the springs and they fast tracked it. New springs arrived and were fitted along with the new shocks. Made a world of difference

BB Baboonface and honda_saj like this.
  14. honda_saj Banned

Great stuff

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

15. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Glad you got sorted bud, wish i'd seen the thread earlier.

honda_saj likes this.
  16. russ.pennington5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bet you don't have our craters though! Parts hereabouts look like a war ravaged European country, the government would never allow foreigners to see London in such a state of disrepair!

honda_saj and BB Baboonface like this.
  17. russ.pennington5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Basically all you have to know is the ev1 & EP3 suspension and brakes are the same! I've got Tein coilies, grooved & dimpled discs, braided brake lines, Hardrace lower control arms, Hardrace adjustable camber arms & front bolts etc, and not once did I bother checking if they fit the ev1! I just automatically order EP3 stuff now!

18. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Agreed, the differences are minor for the most part. @russ.pennington5 if you haven't already, may i suggest getting the JDM EP3 22mm rear anti roll bar, great bang for buck compared to the weedy one on the EV1 :Smile:

honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  19. russ.pennington5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Someone mentioned that the EP3 ARB would be a cheap upgrade,so I ordered one, when it arrived it looked the same as the one I've already got! I was told the ev1 ARB was 15mm & the EP3 19mm but I can't see any difference, unless its already been done?h but yeah the 22mm would probably be a good move! What are they off? Integra?

20. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

JDM EP3, not sure if the DC5 one is the same or not. But there are sellers in the UK peddling the 22mm EP3 bars brand new.

You can certainly feel the difference, although my EV is early facelift non VSA, so they might have changed up the size from 15mm when they went to the VSA model.