Tools tyre fitting equipment for CR-V

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by gongoozler, Wednesday 8th Nov, 2017.

1. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just out of interest, my local garage has declined to fit 4 tyres onto my CR-V (225/65/17) via blackcirles, they are a blackcircles 'premier partner' they say their equipment will not fit these tyres of this size. They are a garage where a large proportion of their trade is for 4x4. Can they really be on the level or is it just BS. ?

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bs

i-DSI and andy83 like this.
  3. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    That's a good one. They do comedy, don't they?

4. leonard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    The reason for that,I think is probably they have scratched the diamond cut alloys before like thy did with mine and had to pay compensation for refurbishment which costed them dearly.

Nels likes this.
  5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I think Leonard's explanation must be the answer. That tyre and wheel combo is totally standard and must be fitted thousands of times a year across the UK. It won't take long to find a tyre fitter that will fit them.

Keith

leonard likes this.
  6. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will ask the 'new' fitters tomorrow, my alloys look standard rounded off and perfectly normal, I have no idea what a 'diamond cut' wheel looks like !!!!

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

Part of the face of the alloy has been removed (with a diamond cutter) to expose the bright metal surface. This is then lacquered.
    The cut surface will usually have fine ridges that reflect the light.
    These are from my Accord.
    The 'star' facing is diamond cut.
    IMG_8426 for HH. IMG_8427.

andy83 and gongoozler like this.
  8. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Nels v. much, I can see the sharpness of the wheels, have nipped out and had a quick look and the spokes arevery simple with rounded edges, all the same finish. I now know what diamond wheels are !!!:clap:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The lacquer is thin on the very edge. When it wears off or gets nicked, the winter salt gets in and runs across the surface of the metal, under the coating, like a hoard of worms.

Regular washing and a dab of clear coat will slow down the almost inevitable.

andy83 likes this.
  10. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just for completion, the fitting garage this morning confirmed that the alloys were not diamond cut, and there were absolutely no unusual elements to the fitting. Overall I am v.pleasedwith Blackcircles and will use them again, unlike my opinion of my local garage who refused to fit!!
    Thanks for the responses and photos guys!!

andy83 likes this.
  11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Glad you got it sorted (as I knew you would).

Keith

andy83 likes this.