Reviews Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (225/45/17)

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by 1066Boy, Sunday 5th Feb, 2017.

1. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Just ordered a set as my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's are past there best.
    Hopefully fitting them next Saturday so will update now and again with my thoughts. :Smile:
    I notice that not many people on here are running them but I thought I would give them a go
    as the price was good (£300) fully fitted. Rated A wet grip, C for economy.

FirstHonda and dbrooks65 like this.
  2. Smokingman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Had the Rainsport 2 on a previous car in the same size and loved them but they did ware rapidly 12-15k for front pair, but then so did other manufactures tyres. Be good to here your comments as I'm currently running Conti Sport contact 5 on my Accord at about £120 a corner after the Auto Express review they completely transformed the feel of the car.

John

1066Boy likes this.
  3. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Lots of the reviews on the 2 commented on the short life span but apparently this is one of the things they have improved
    with the Rainsport 3. I only do about 3000 a year in the Civic so not a problem for me if they grip well.
    Also at £75 each fitted I thought it would be worth a go. My sport maxx RT's have been on so long they are starting to
    crack. They are only about half worn so its false economy to fit high end/long lasting ones for my case. :Grin:

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @1066Boy I agree with you on miles as long as tyres give good wet and dry grip and braking all factors count when buying tyres i'm not doing big miles in a year...

1066Boy likes this.
  5. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Well, had them fitted this morning and have been out for a little run. So far very positive. :Smile:
    As this is my 1st Civic, and have only had the Dunlop Sportmaxx RT tyres on it my findings may differ from others.
    Noise: simply less of it at all speeds. (have not been on the motorway yet)
    Ride: A little softer, less jittering from uneven surfaces.
    Handling: Have not had a chance to push hard through the corners yet as its only 1C with sleet/snow but turn in is fast and feels settled.
    Steering: Feels a bit lighter yet more positive, if that's possible. Certainly feels like it would give you more confidence to suddenly avoid trouble.
    That's it for now. Maybe follow it up after 6 months or so, hopefully with better weather. :Laughing:

6. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Rainsports are made by Continental, so are a good quality. Not very stiff side walls though. So not great if your looking for all out performance. Excellent in the wet, so great for British weather. :Smile:

1066Boy likes this.
  7. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Well had the Rainsport 3 on for a couple of months now and they just keep getting better.
    Performed well on the motorway in heavy rain and on sunday when we had 23C on the south coast,
    Pushed the Civic hard and fast (too fast) into a local hairpin bend. Deliberately did everything wrong.
    Too fast, turn in too late and planted the throttle in 2nd halfway through the corner.
    It just went ware I pointed it. No understeer or tyre squeal just grip. I am loving them. :Smile:

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate a good update sounds like the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 have a good tyre compound...
    Thanks
    Andy

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    The original Michelins on my CR-V have now done about 15k miles, and will last another 5-7k I reckon. I'll certainly consider these Uniroyals when I come to change based on this thread.

:GoodJob:

1066Boy likes this.
  10. k20a3 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi 1066 boy.... funny I have been using Dunlop sport as rt as they were rated quiet, but I find them not so.

How are the uni royals doIng?

11. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I found the Sport Maxx RT good in most conditions but I did find a fair bit of road noise at higher speed.
    Overall performance was fine. Very good in warm weather but they did tend to spin in cold damp conditions.
    I find the Uni Rainsport better for grip in all conditions especially in the cold and damp mornings.
    They have improved the ride in the Type-S (its a bit firm) and without a doubt they are quieter on road.
    Hope that helps. Allan (1066 Boy)

FirstHonda, k20a3 and andy83 like this.
  12. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    1066Boy and andy83 like this.
  13. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

1066Boy likes this.