Exhaust System unknown sensor 1 bank 1 o2 sensor in D17A. please share some data

Discussion in '1st Generation (2000-2006)' started by vjmajembe, Monday 22nd May, 2017.

1. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom lukas hornchurch
    Hi there
    I have an error code p0134 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected (bank 1 sensor 1)
    The fuel system runs in open loop.
    I checked the manifold for air tightness and the map sensor. Everything points at the upstream sensor that looks like new. I'm not sure how old the sensor is and what type it is but I have suspicion that the sensor is wrong type. I tried to find out the part number of the OEM sensor that should be installed in this model with no luck.
    The problem i have is that the engine code is D17A. There are several website that will give me a OEM part numb er for engines D17A1, D17A2, D17A3... and so on but I couldn't find for sure what sensor do I need for my engine.
    I want to be certain about this because some prices for A/F sensors in particular are scary.
    I'm not sure if the sensor should output the voltage or current. Is it o2 or A/F

The body type is CBA -RN1, 2004 model, auto transmission if this helps

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
  3. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Andy

I read a lot on different forums about o2 sensors for D17 engine and apparently they don't like any aftermarket sensors. Also many people mentioned that is hard to find the correct one once the original OEM sensor is misplaced and p/n is unknown.
    I found another part number to presumably the same car . I searched by the body code CBA-RN1 as oppose to D17 engine code.
    B-2 エキゾーストパイプ/サイレンサー for Honda Stream frame CBA-RN1 - Auto parts
    I know most of the stuff is in Japanese but the primary sensor is mentioned as A/F sensor with part number: 36531-PLR-003
    I'm really confused.

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's the thing
    I don't really know what sensor should be fitted, the o2 or A/F. THe one I have is some aftermarket sensor. Probably wrong type anyway. I don't want to trial and error when it comes to expensive or parts from online retailers. It's painful to get them returned.

andy83 likes this.
  6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@vjmajembe if i'm right its the 02 sensor I am going off P0134 code
    watch this video mate...

Thanks
    Andy

7. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was researching for days and you are giving me an answer within minutes. Nice one mate. Good to have you here. I'll keep you posted how it goes

andy83 likes this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No worries mate some stuff can be just a case of knowing the right detail i'm sure if you look about there be a better cross reference on the part numbers, as uk spec of the stream in 1.7 was only manual trans but things can be found out some how, any further question any of us can do to help we will.
    Thanks
    Andy

9. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@vjmajembe any updates mate is problem sorted..
    Thanks
    Andy

10. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The A/F sensor was a good shot. However I have another problem. No trouble code shows and the revs are fluctuating on idle and when accelerating. The needle dips once a second for just a fraction of a second.

andy83 likes this.
  11. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate i'd check there no air getting in where it should not be...
    thanks
    andy

12. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I checked the intake with smoke. It looks ok. The weird hing is that it's cutting out every second. I thought the problem was only at idle and accel but it is actually noticeable all the time. And why would it be so regular? It cuts out exactly every second. I'll try to graph it on Friday, when I have my scanner back. IS there any valve, EG. EGR or something that opens and closes every second? I guess when everything works fine there shouldn't be any solenoids operating this way but at fault condition maybe the ECU is trying to compensate for something. I don't know.
    What about fuel pressure? would that have anything to do with it?

andy83 likes this.
  13. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hello mate me a bit unsure where to say to head at moment, if I remember correct the 1.7 engine dose have EGR, has this fault been only since you had front 02 sensor done..
    Thanks
    Andy

14. vjmajembe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had this rev jumping issue since I got the car two months back. It feels like it is more noticeable now, since the o2 change but I might be wrong. It could be that it is progressing and getting worse slowly. two months ago I could feel it only when the car was cold and at low to mid rmp. Now it happens continuously, disregarding if the engine is cold or warmed up. the idle rmp is quite low as well (fluctuating around 650-700 when warm). This electric EGR is quite difficult to clean. I had it in my hands but i was unable to open the poppet. Even if I manage to force the poppet to open, the gap is so small that i'm unable to get the gunk out of it.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you checked your exhaust system for cracks or leaks ?

andy83 likes this.