Aftermarket Kit upgrading my sat nav

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Ragnar, Sunday 11th Feb, 2018.

1. Ragnar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ragnar Rochester
    Hi folks, so I'm looking to upgrade the sat nav from one that tells me places don't exist and nav door is open when its not :thumbdown: to a more modern system. The accord tourer i had had an easy to use touch screen and knew where i wanted to go but this CR-V one is awful, I'm not the most patient of men and the joystick button has nearly been forcefully removed on several occasions, it usually means I'm using my iPhone instead. the car did come with a Honda fitted HFT which does not work, the panel is illuminated, but it never searches for a phone if at all my iPhone is compatible i also have the Honda Cd Changer but its 2018 and 8 CDs is just not enough room! So the only answer i can find is to to rip it out and start again, I'm looking for a sat nav which does not cost the earth to run and bluetooth to answer calls and listen to music. Does anyone have any experience with this or could point me in the right direction? I know we get what we pay for and pioneer do some good units but what do you think?

This is what I'm working with.
    IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2628.JPG

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

2. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I fitted a clarion unit most recently. for around £400 you get yourself a brand new model with updated maps that does it all. I've got a similar pioneer unit in the FR-V which is also great but are far more expensive. both use the same map system.

Just a word of advice about the bluetooth unit you have, I have the same fitted in the FR-V. I disconnected but didn't remove it as it would've left holes and would've meant cutting the cables at either the unit or the connections due to the way the cables are run.

3. Ragnar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ragnar Rochester
    Thanks for the reply qc2.

I’ve just purchased a Pioneer Avic-F980DAB so fingers crossed all my problems are over. I’m going to be removing the a pillar covers to fit the DAB aerial and the Mic so hopefully I’ll be able to disconnect the old Bluetooth unit and maybe if I’m brave enough find a blanking plate to fill the hole, but it’s more then likely that it’ll stay there and just look retro which apparently is a thing. My only issue is finding the time to fit it.

4. Sandy52 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    IF you just want a satnav there is a big choice out there, with some have BT to link to your phone so they act like the speaker. Otherwise it is a new media player and satnav built in. They look to start about £300 unless you get a cheap chinese android software powered unit.

5. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    just an idea on what to expect when you try to remove it. also a photo of my AVIC-F970DAB fully installed

IMG_20160410_122608. IMG_20160410_122609. IMG_20160410_122621. IMG_20160410_122622. IMG_20160410_122631. IMG_20160416_143734_1.

If you have a dig through the guides there are good guides on the double din installs and people have found my one on the steering controls helpful
    - - - Updated - - -
    also i didn't need to remove the pillars to fit the mic, you can run the wires by just tucking them in with the right tools. Ran it all down the passenger side as it's easier to get the wires across the glove box rather than the driver side with all the controls etc.

My DAB antenna is stuck at the top of my windscreen just tucked in before the roof liner. alternatively, you can get an adaptor that connects to the FM antenna, so the roof antenna effectively does both analogue and digital. Had i known of this at the time I probably would've gone with this option.

andy83 and Nels like this.