Feedback/Help Virus warnings

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by Davec, Saturday 31st Dec, 2016.

1. Davec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Chippenham
    My Norton Internet Security has started warning me that this site is infected when I follow a link from the subscription emails.
    Is anyone else getting this?
    Do the site admin regularly scan for malicious content?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here is the message:
    Capture.PNG

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That link is from our mail provider which basically just logs when a member clicks a link before sending them onto the website. It's that link (Sendgrid) which is being flagged and not our site itself.

PS: Norton is the world's worst anti-virus :Grin:

3. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I rather have no anti virus than Norton.

honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    I agree I've never been a fan of Norton

honda_saj and DrSam like this.
  5. Davec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Whatever you think about Norton AV, it doesn't usually make things up. It may be weak in that it doesn't catch everything, but its responses are based on actual field data as well as internet scans. There must be something dodgy about the email response site I think.

6. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    It's not that its weak or anything.
    I have been working with computers for a long time, and I have found that customers who had Norton installed was a commonly complaining about it slowing down the computer or having constant warning like the one you had. I had once customers that couldn't even access his personal cloud storage (NAS) he had setup others where they said the had a warning trying to access online banking.
    Everyone has their own preference, if you prefer Norton, thats fine.
    From my my experience, I just found it to be a headache.

honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  7. Davec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I posted on here to highlight a potential issue to the admin team - I don't come to a car site for advice on software...
    I have also been using computers and Norton for years and I have found Norton to generally be reliable and effective. It certainly doesn't make any noticeable performance difference on my current PC.
    Unsubscribing now...

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    When the issue is with the software itself it will be pointed out buddy.

Whether you want to hear it or not, most virus or malware "detection" is based on statistical analysis looking for known trends, in this case at some point some link on Sendgrid in the past will have been to something dodgy; therefore Symantec/Norton in their infinite wisdom have allowed any Sendgrid link to flag a security warning. It's akin to flagging every link on Google as a potential security issue because some links will link to viruses. Another analogy would be saying all Hondas are shite because you once owned an abused model which was unreliable.

Appreciate it being bought to our attention all the same, but in this case there really is nothing to worry about. If you want to email Symantec and have them confirm from their end for your own peace of mind, feel free :Smile:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Our emails won't contain virus can I have that detailed report highlighted in the message. Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Davec it is very good that you posted this thread. :likeit:
    If members did not give us feedback on things like this, we would not be able to check and respond.

I am not an IT guru, just a keen Honda owner. I depend on experts like @DeviateDefiant to clarify the more technical matters for me.

When it comes to anti-virus/spyware etc, we all have our personal preferences and as like cars, some feel very strongly about what they have chosen.

You did exactly what I would have done by feeding this back. Thank you.

I would encourage all members to keep us posted of any potential issues they encounter on our site.
    Personally, I used to use Norton, but also found it did slow things down more than I was happy with. However, if you are happy with it, that's all that really matters.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Strange Norton web safe is giving us the all clear.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For some reason he's put unsubscribing now on his last post.
    Does that mean he's left us or left Norton AV

DrSam likes this.
  14. B16_EG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I use ESET and I have never had a problem, it is 30 quid a year mind! But it doe's everything I want it too and nothing else.

15. Allwoods Audio Commercial Services Trader

I used to use Norton a few years back but changed to mcafee livesafe,, mostly because i get it cheap :Smile:

honda_saj likes this.
  16. B16_EG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have never liked mcafee @Allwoods Audio No idea why, we used to run it at work and I never got on with it, Kaspersky is good too!

honda_saj likes this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Avast free FTW! Paired with Web of Trust plugin for browsers.

honda_saj likes this.
  18. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    Comodo have used loads and was in it business before had running on my pc with malwarbytes and glary utilities never had a virus as sandbox will alert you.

sent using tapatalk

legend-ary likes this.
  19. honda_saj Banned

Web of trust add in is good

sent using tapatalk

legend-ary likes this.
  20. honda_saj Banned

Norton is rubbish slows pc to a crawl and update frequency crap as well

sent using tapatalk