Tools well 1st an apology this is not a very exciting subject for most folk but I'm in need of advice.

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Pete Alien eh Ted.?, Saturday 25th Feb, 2017.

1. Pete Alien eh Ted.? Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pete Sheffield
    I've recently discovered two cross threaded wheel nuts/studs and although i managed to remove them without breaking the studs there is damage that needs sorting out. Am i right in thinking I'll need a tap & die set to recut the threads and if so can anybody recommend a suitable set for this application as I've never attempted this procedure before. Replacing the studs & nuts appears to be only possible having first destroyed the wheel bearing which i would prefer not to. So any insights or advice is welcomed and thank you kindly.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It would be way fast and quicker to remove the wheel stud and insert new ones. Personally as it an easier fix if you haven't done tap and die before.

Once replaced then practice on the damage stud by repairing it.

Last edited: Sunday 26th Feb, 2017
  3. Pete Alien eh Ted.? Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply not quite what i expected but your point about ease of task i can't argue with because I've never recut a thread but I've replaced a few Bearings & know its not easy or a good idea to try to reuse one that's been pulled apart which I'd have to do to replace a stud as there isn't nearly enough space to the rear of the hub. I honestly hoped for an idea about what tap & die set is a good value candidate for the task but not to worry It'll be reyt ...

4. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi Pete.
    As @Ichiban said replace the studs is a lot easier and safer, and at the end of the day they are holding the wheel on!!! and having been in a car when the studs failed at 70 mph in an old Fiat its not fun trust me.

John

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:
    Safety for you, your passengers and other road users comes first.

Let us know how you get on @Pete Alien eh Ted.?

6. Are you sure it's not do-able ? There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing the process on Accords.

7. Pete Alien eh Ted.? Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the input everyone i appreciate that safety is paramount so will be changing the bearings soon meanwhile, as the parts are pretty expensive in the uk, i recut the damaged studs & feel better knowing I've done what i can till next week when the new parts arrive (hopefully) .

honda_saj, SayamaAccord and Nels like this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good decision @Pete Alien eh Ted.?

(Oh, I've edited out the double quote for you to keep things tidy)