Aftermarket Kit What are the Best Mods?

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by robkey123, Thursday 23rd Oct, 2014.

1. robkey123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

rob plymouth
    What are the best performance mods I can do to my HR-V?

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 24th Oct, 2014
  2. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Forced induction? Lol

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard T Milton Keynes
    I guess that depends on what you are planning to do with it. What is your ultimate aim with her?

4. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    And budget also!

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    "Best" is a pretty broad scope, what are you wanting to achieve?

6. robkey123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

rob plymouth
    a bit more speed to shame so boy racer types lol thinking of lowering a bit seeing as its the 2 wheel drive

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The thing is with the D16W1, it's one of the non-VTEC engines, no matter what you do with breathing mods, intake, header, exhaust etc. you're never going to have a fast car. You can look into head swaps with some of the VTEC D-Series, but I still don't think it's cost effective, and you're still not going to go putting other cars to shame.

The two real ways to power are either turbo, where 200hp is fairly easy to get to without worrying about the engine holding up - or you could just drop a B16 or B18 engine into it (EK9/DC2 Type-R) and have an easy 160-180hp for half the cost.

8. robkey123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

rob plymouth
    think i will keep a look out for a VTEC model or a complete car with a good engine and do the swop
    cheers guys

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The 4WD model with the D16W5 is VTEC, however the extra 20 or so horsepower will be lost on the back axle no doubt. Unfortunately the HR-V was never sold with a larger engine than a D16 so it is down to a complete swap.

10. 2 loud Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sweden Åke stockholm
    picking up this old thread since i am in the same search of moore power ,, and a goal on aprox 200 HP ( il got the 1999 4x4 HR-V with 105 HP D16W1 engine ) .. but since whats makes difrence is the torgue ,, HP sells cars ,, TQ moves them i want to increse the tq and the best moust cost effective is a turbo or supercharger ,, ,, so basicly im in search of recomendations of stuff as will be able to use on this car ,, is theres some kit to but ans start modyfie from ? i looked at the US market and ebay and they seldom even know of HR-V s of this age

11. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    That's a lot of horsepower increase the easiest and cheapest would be turbo charge method otherwise a lot of modifications to get that power increase, tuning with cold air, custom exhaust and remap will give you around 50 BHP.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

12. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I do don't think you will find much if anything on the US market as they didn't have the 1st Generation over there.
    I don't know if increasing power,torque or whatever won't come without its problems, you have to remember that most of these cars are now 17-18 years old and parts are hard to come by, so if something breaks in the process of increasing the power in the long run is it going to be more costly..
    I know that the Joy Machine (2WD) version had a lot of issues early doors because of driveshafts and CV joints failing as owners thought they had bought a 4WD and could just go off road. Once they got up to their axles in mud the poor things just wouldn't go and things started to break. And 18 years on are these parts going to be in top class condition? I think not.

1066Boy, honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  13. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    Any modification can cause more load on engine thats why stock engines are built with tolerance factor, if you squeeze out more out of a old engine as @MickyB said you may see some parts fail while your vehicle may go faster, there is more to story as terms state any advice given is only an opinion there is no guarantee and modifications are at owners risk !

MickyB likes this.
  14. 2 loud Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sweden Åke stockholm
    am familjar with the risks ,, but i know this car since lots of years .. its been a friend of mines as sadly dided on the hospital and i was given this car of hes mother ,, i had serv this cars for manny years before that and it hasent pased 12000 europian miles yet so its not any exensive wear ,, i just replace the watherpump and the cambelt ,, and included a new clutch , new brakes (rotors and pads , rebulid the calipers ) and new brakes in the back ,, and so far iv seen noting else that needs replacement but it aint no problem ,, wehn it comes i just fix it ,, even it the engine ET damage you find better used on the scrapyard for small money

MickyB and honda_saj like this.
  15. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

If its low mileage and in good condition, sell it and by a Type-R. Job done. :Thumbup:

16. 2 loud Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sweden Åke stockholm
    sweet sollution ,,, do they come lifted and with 4x4 ? ,,, the HR-V is quite odd and my dougther loves is ,, im not in to make it a ferrari ,, like it as it is exept the power out of the engine ,, could it really bee that hard to understund ?

17. Abush New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Alan horley
    I have a 02 HR-V and I love it to bits every one keeps telling me it not a proper 4x4 but they forgot to tell the car! it does every thing a4x4 is supposed to do and some and its as tough as old boots. Its ok to try and get more out of an engine but remember every thing come at a price. More power =shorter life span I change the oil and filter on every MOT and give it a dose of redx once a year. And I try to keep the RPM at or below 3000rpm all of which help to extend the engine life

MickyB and 1066Boy like this.