Pre-Purchase What engine to get?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by sdw1977, Friday 12th Jan, 2018.

1. sdw1977 New Member Getting Started

Hi,
    I am about to buy a new CR-V but not sure what engine to get.
    1.6 or 1.6 4WD. Any suggestions? MPG big difference between the 2?

Any help would be great

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2.0 Petrol.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  3. sdw1977 New Member Getting Started

Does it not have much lower MPG figures though?

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, but petrol is cheaper and they are a lot more reliable and cheaper to run in the long term.

5. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    We went for the 1.6awd as we tow. Auto version as well. Round town get in top 30s, motorway cruising get around 50-55. Towing gives 28-33. All figures from onboard computer, so a pinch of salt probably needed .

6. sdw1977 New Member Getting Started

7. Mihail New Member Getting Started

Romania Mihail Bucharest
    I am using 2.0 petrol as well. Very happy with it! Reasonable economy, no DPF issues, very pleasant on the NVH side.

PanayiotisPal and FirstHonda like this.
  8. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    +1 for 2.0 litre petrol. Far more likely to be reliable in the long term. An extra couple of MPG isn't much comfort if the Government increases tax on diesels or if you have DPF issues.

Mihail, PanayiotisPal and 1066Boy like this.
  9. CaleyThistle New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Colin Elgin
    I have a one year old 1.6 diesel (160 PS) EX. I test drove the petrol and found it very sluggish. The twin turbo diesel was far better, loads of pulling power. I've had diesels for years and have never had any problems, maybe it's the way I drive. I clock up around 10k a year so at todays prices the diesel saves me £500 a year, add to that the extra £105 tax (£135 vs £240), so over £600 a year. I'd have to have a LOT of DPF problems every year to negate the £600 savings. I also tow a lot, the diesel is FAR better for towing....
    But each to their own... :Smile:

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just one DPF problem will wipe out two years fuel savings. As you do only 10K a year you’ll probably find that out soon.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  11. CaleyThistle New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Colin Elgin
    Anyone with any common sense will know it's NOT the mileage that causes DPF problems, it's the WAY it's driven....

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I’m sorry, I don’t know much about diesels.

andy83, Nels and FirstHonda like this.
  13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Great way for a new member to introduce himself!

Welcom to the Forum.

Keith

Mihail, 1066Boy and FirstHonda like this.
  14. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

To be fair, you spend so much time fixing them I wouldn't expect you to have spare time to research them...

Mihail, Pottermus and 1066Boy like this.
  15. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

I may be out of date, but when I was looking in September the diesel was more expensive (model for model) and had far higher depreciation. You may want to factor that into your savings. Probably time to sell your Carillion shares too...oh, wait...:Whistle:

16. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Diesel is currently depreciating 30% quicker than petrol.

Mihail likes this.
  17. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    I guess it is not a major issue to buy the 9 speed auto 1.6d CR-V if you have a diagnostic to force DPF regeneration at home when and if neededn(otherwise say bye to savings made during the year). I would choose AWD, for the extra safety, even if CR-Vs AWD system is in the same performance tier with Mazda CX-5, kia sportage and Toyota Rav4.

Last edited: Friday 2nd Feb, 2018
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Best one I read in ages!

andy83 likes this.
  19. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Welcome to the forum CaleyThistle,
    I agree with you completely; DPF problems are entirely down to the way you drive, I have just ordered a new 1.6 diesel CR-V after completing 105.000 miles in my diesel Accord without one DPH problem. The new diesel engines are all Euro 6 compliant and should not be compared with older generation engines which are attracting all the publicity at the moment.

Nels and CaleyThistle like this.
  20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Spot on, though I believe even the newer ones can fall foul of the DPF issues is not driven correctly.
    Congratulations on the CR-V!

CaleyThistle likes this.