where do I stand..?

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by Aza, Friday 14th Jun, 2013.

1. Aza Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Firstly I'm not really sure if this Is in the right section. However, I am in fact simultaneously asking for the help of my fellow brethren of civiclife whilst venting my anger.

Started with my misses deciding about a year ago she wanted a new car. Her ej9 was get a bit of crusty arch, as they do. So started saving up. Fast forward to 4 days ago when, she decides she likes a silver 56 plate golf tdi. A well informed choice, or so thought. Key info here:

[​IMG]

The add clearly says call 'Dealer' and trader in the top right is mjdtrade.

Anyway, Cut a long story short went up there, turns out the car is at his house. So I ask if he sells a lot of cars to which I get the response. Yeah a few, bought this as a cheap run around a month ago and now have no need, believable. had a poke around in all the usual places (I am VERY thorough when checking over a car) got taken for a 5-6 mile test drive and all was good, nipped the car up the road myself and all was well. Was informed the car was fitted with a recon box year ago, on 95000 miles, vw service up the 66k and local garage serviced after that. Came back the next day with the 3,600 and the crusty ej9 in px. Sorted all the other paperwork out including the transfer of the ej9 for which we received the transfer to a trader, dismantler etc. Piece of paper, not filled out however (was took focused on the all important v5 of the golf) my mistake. (another key point of information) all was well on the 55 mile trip home drove sweet as a nut... got back into my home town turned down a road and bang! Felt like an uber massive pothole, not uncommon on that road.. eased off the throttle checked all was well. Which it was both visually and to drive. Until we finished our journey back home, pulled up outside and immediately noticed a trail of fluid down the drive to the golf. 'Insert every swearword under the sun' turns out its transmission fluid. Now the car is stuck in gear, unmovable because its shat itself of all its transmission fluid. My misses is 3600 and a ej9 down. My vag tech mate thinks new box. Which she can't afford. So I ask, where do we stand on this. Are we in any way protected as the sale was advertised as a trade sale..? I'm absolutely gutted and heartbroken for my misses as she saved so hard and was helped out by her grandparents. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the MEGA long rant and if it's unreadable to most.

Aza

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 14th Jun, 2013
  2. Aza Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ooh yeah please please please don't go silly and call the number, Luke (rapey) I'm looking at you lol, as this is a serious matter. Much appreciated guys.

Aza

3. El cid Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

before I answer, are you saying there was a pothole that caused it or are you saying its a faulty box that felt like a pothole when it went poom?

4. Aza Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sorry, felt like a pothole. went back the next day in my sol and no sign of a pothole to that extent. (My sol would of fell in it, judging by the nature of the bang lol)

just like to add: on the above Picture have edited out the number for obvious reasons

5. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you sell more than so many cars on autotrader in a year, they make you register as a trader.

Doesn't actually mean they ate a trader, which is annoying when your looking for cars just sold by traders(I went to buy our lass a focus for 6k thinking its a dealer, and was just adude on a drive with no car facilities, so wasted an hours journey).

Did he offer warranty or anything? Did you get a receipt saying sold as seen?

Did you vag tech say it had been bodges to get you home? Or had it genuinely just gone that day?

6. foxyboy333 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Wow this happens so often, even happenend to me once. I spent 1600 on a MX6 and the crank went on it 15 miles into my ownership, left stranded with my savings gone and just sold my reliable rusty old car to buy this MX6.

I phoned the seller back which gladly informed me it was sold as seen, when i went to strip the engine there was sawdust everywhere so they knew the deal. They had run it out of oil sometime in the past and decided to fill it up and put sawdust in just to sell it.

I hope you get it sorted mate, sometimes i wonder if it's worth going that step further when viewing a car and either taking a mechanic with you to spotcheck it for you or you taking a jack etc and doing it yourself. So many people only look at the bodywork and never get on the floor to see what happeneing underneath.

End result, i am a far better buyer now who can walk away from a car regardless of its looks because I've been underneath it and its all thanks to being stung in the past.

7. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

go back and set his house on fire? oh wait did i say that?

8. ozz9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So just to confirm, he definitely wasnt a registered dealer? I've been to dealers that deal from their drive before - still do everything by the book!

Generally speaking best thing to do is say that to him, or beyond that, ask the Garage it was originally fixed at! Don't accept 'sold as seen,' because it wasnt. Sold as seen means 'with visible damage' not 'with hidden gremlins' like so many people seem to think.

9. Aza Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't know, Is there some sort of register for motor traders.? Every thing seemed like a trade sale. Only have a receipt for the money given. No warranty was implied however, is he legally obliged as a trader to offer some sort of comeback. ?

Thanks for your help guys

Aza

10. belfastlad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hes just going to tell you thats its something you done and its your problem now. try anyway he might throw you a few quid if hes decent, wouldn't depend on it tho.

11. Aza Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Wow. Quite shocked really.. I've threatened trading standards and he's now saying to wait for the logbook to come back and he will refund in full. What do you think I should do? Wait for logbook, bearing in mind this will make the car legally my misses. Or, take the car up there tonight on a recovery truck with my old man, park up outside his house and outright refuse to move until a refund is given. I have no interest in :tut: this guy over in regards to the logbook. I just want my misses hard earned back!

Thanks

Aza

12. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if you actually have the balls to do that then drive it to his house...hes either waiting fo the log book so he can transfer it back...or hes doimng as you said legally binding it to you...

13. dhdavectr Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd take it back and get a refund there and then, sod waiting for a log book.

I'm sure he will have to register as a trader.

14. Original Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You tested the car. You were happy with it. I don't know either of you but how do i know you werntt screwing it home? Or he knew it was faulty?

Its one of those things. Whether he knew or not you bought it and a reciept to confirm that. If i was him i wouldn't do anything to be honest? Not his headache. And sorry if i appear blunt just telling you how it is really..

15. Vtimark Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm pretty sure there's a law against selling something with undeclared, known faults but he'll probably say he didn't know. You don't know until you try!

16. civtegra Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you wait for the log-book, then the car is in your name and your problem (or so he might say). Plus he just sounds like a chap who sells afew cars on the side to make a few quid, I'd put a tenner on him not being all registered up as a proper trader. On the other hand, he might actually be a decent guy and give you a refund when you have the document back in hand. But are you confident he is that decent and are going to sit it out and wait a week or 2 for the V5 to come back?

17. Effi Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I can understand your pain, however, you took it for a spin and it all seemed well. I assume it went in to gear smoothly, no noticeable grinding or popping out of gear, pulled in each gear smoothly as you'd expect? If so then it could just be an honest mistake. I'm not sure how someone could really know it was going to go bang to such an extent yet also knew it would survive a test drive and seem "fine" at the time. I would ensure you make correspondence via email so you have a record, if he's assuring you of a refund and will do so in writing then it a much easier issue to deal with if it turns out he's trying to play you.

18. kazama Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Realistically what would be the chances of him knowing. If u went for a test drive and all was well and u drove home (almost) and all was well.

If the situation was reversed and u sold ur sol working perfect to u and he rang you the next day and said it was :tut:, you would tell him to go :tut: himself. As would 99 per cent of ppl. If hes offering a full refund jump at it. Drop the car off at his house collect the money and ur car

Realistically what would be the chances of him knowing. If u went for a test drive and all was well and u drove home (almost) and all was well.

If the situation was reversed and u sold ur sol working perfect to u and he rang you the next day and said it was :tut:, you would tell him to go :tut: himself. As would 99 per cent of ppl. If hes offering a full refund jump at it. Drop the car off at his house collect the money and ur car

19. Aza Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This thread can be closed if the admin so wish. Got a full refund and my misses ej9 back all in one piece! Ecstatic to say the least.

Thanks for all the help and advice given people! :Grin:

Aza

20. bobski25 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

happy for u mate least u got ur money back at the end so now u know what to do next time when buying a car  :thumbs: